Director's Cuts

Options
BrendarB mentioned the alternate cut of Nightbreed the other day and I got to thinking about the numerous horror movies that, whether due to censorship or runtime issues, have alternate versions floating around. I was wondering what some of you guys' favorite "Director's Cuts" are? Which ones are the most drastically different from their theatrical counterparts? Do any of you have a mythic "white whale" that you hope will surface one day?

It seems to happen more frequently nowadays as a marketing ploy for DVD sales but it is always cool to watch a movie you've seen several times from a new perspective. And the trend has seemed to inspire studios to dredge through the vaults for excised footage that was thought lost for years. Home video in the 80s and the special edition DVDs of today are a wealth of entertainment for horror fans.

Replies

• TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I would have to rate Hatchet as favorite Director's Cut. I also liked some of the scenes that they put into The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen. Mainly the spider walk scene, most of the other ones that they put back in were kind of boring. The main one I have been waiting for was already mentioned and that's Nightbreed.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I agree on the Exorcist - and yep, for the crab walk down the stairs - ugh!

I'll have to go through my stuff to see what I've watched that was director's cut, I kinda just take it for granted
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The Directors Cut of Rob Zombie's Halloween was pretty good, not a whole ton of extra stuff but enough
  • TakeMyWifePlease
    Options
    I haven't seen the theatrical cut of Rob Zombie's Halloween since it first came out but I was definitely surprised when I picked up the DVD of the director's cut and saw the different escape scene. I preferred the "rape-less" version of the escape. My wife (who I had seen it with in the theater) turned to me and said, "I don't remember this scene at all!" The director's cut for his second Halloween was pretty different than what I remembered from the theater as well. Better actually.

I love the spider walk from the Exorcist as well but overall like the original version best. Glad both versions are on my DVD though.

Looking through my DVDs I'm going for Army of Darkness and the Original Dawn of the Dead as my favorite director's cuts. I love being able to watch the alternate versions.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    It's hard for me to make some of the comparisons because I don't get to the theater much, and when a dvd comes out if there is option for directors cut edition I will take that over the theatrical release every time. There are some that I've seen both versions.

I did see both versions of Army of Darkness and have to agree that the directors cut is better.