just when I thought I had it right...

DaysFlyBy
DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
How exacting does one have to be with this TDEE business? I just got a tad neurotic and averaged my BMR, TDEE and cut from each of the 4 research models for '3-5 hour' and '5-6 hour' activity levels because I think I average somewhere between the two, then I averaged both sets if numbers together and came up with a TDEE that is 167 calories higher than what I've been eating (2167 vs 2000). Is that really a big deal?

Also if I do 6-7 hours/week of exercise but the rest of the time I'm really quite sedentary, at least for the summer, and if those workouts consist of 3 hrs/week on the treadmill going between 3.5-4.5 mph each time, and 4.5 hrs/week heavy lifting (only up to 20 lbs and 30 lbs for sumo squats), so a good workout every time but not Insanity/P90x-kind of 'strenuous' workouts, what the heck do I choose as my activity level?! Urrrgh all these figures and adjectives/qualifiers make me NUTS.

ETA I find it hard to believe I should be eating much over 2000 calories/day when I'm basically sedentary 22.5 hours/day and the 1-1.5 hours a day I DO workout I'm not doing HIIT or anything intensely grueling, kwim?

Replies

• DaysFlyBy
    The difference should say 127, not 167, so it's my current 2000 cal vs 2127. Sorry. :blushing:
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    I'm guessing any of the more knowledgeable people on here would probably want your numbers (height, age, current weight, etc) to help you figure this out BUT I will say that I don't think 2000 or even more calories would be too much for your workout level. I only do New Rules 3x/wk, and sometimes I walk my dogs 2x/wk, but not every week, and other than that, I'm a stay at home mom, so while I do get up and move around, it's not a whole lot of work or anything. And I eat 2300 every day. I have my cals set to what Fat2Fit calls "maintenance" for my goal weight of 145 and for a "moderate" activity level. When I was working out more days/hrs/wk I was eating 2500. I am currently pretty steadily losing 1-2lbs/wk.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    I thought mine was high at 2350 (walk the dog at 3.5 mph/45 min/day), but bodymedia core says average for the last 2 weeks is over 2500...go figure!
  • DaysFlyBy
    Oh dang, that would probably help huh? Okay here are my stats:

Female
    35 years old
    123 lbs two weeks ago (I only weigh 1/month)
    5 ft 1.5 in
    Goal weight 115 lbs but my heart isn't set on it if I could just fit into a size 3 I wouldn't care what the scale says lol
  • DaysFlyBy
    Bumping hoping someone can double check my activity level for me :flowerforyou:
  • avalynsmom
    avalynsmom Posts: 78
    Ok, I ran your numbers through Fat2fit and through Scooby, and with Fat2Fit, they recommend 1984-2208 (moderately active to very active) and scooby has a TDEE of 2440 for a moderate activity level (3-5hrs) and 2716 for very active (5-6hrs). A 10% cut (since you're so close to goal weight, I don't think you'd want to go too much more than that) would be 2196 for moderate activity and 2444 for "strenuous activity"

So, if I were you, I'd just go for somewhere right in the middle, like 2150 ish, and try that for awhile and see how it goes! In my personal opinion, I don't think that's too much for your level of activity, even if you're sedentary whenever you're not working out:)

Edit: I am in NO way an expert!! These are just the numbers I got running your numbers accompanied by my own persona opinion:)