Keep going or not?

Options
I am bummed. Never thought I would say this: It took me 25:30 to get through 2 1/4 miles. I don't know if I should get it down to 22 minutes before moving forward or just work on distance. Thoughts?

I wasn't exhausted when I finished. I was mad so I felt like I could have kept jogging.

The other thing is how do I work on my time without pushing too hard at the begining or end? I have heard not to pull your legs up higher to lengthen your stride--like a sprinter does, but then how do you do it?

sorry for all the questions!! i am just not sure how to tackle this!

Thank you in advance :happy:

Replies

• SLHartman
    SLHartman Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read and all the information I've been given says to work on stamina first, distance second. If you are using correct form, breathing, etc. then you are building muscle and your distance will increase over time. You shouldn't push too much as you don't want to increase the chance of injuring yourself.

I'm starting week 4 on Tuesday, and while I've not gone even 2 miles yet on any given run, my running times and distance have been increasing little by little. Keep at it, don't push too hard and the results will come. :smile:
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I never focused on the time but that I completed the day. I focused on time and not distance is what I'm getting at. Speed will come later! Just keep going!
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have been just running/walking when they say- if I haven't gone the distance they say- I still switch. If I feel like I can still run, I do.....I just am focusing on the stamina as well....After each day, I will walk to complete up to 3 miles, (sometimes a little more) then I stretch at the end. I wouldn't worry about making it faster or getting in a certain amount of miles to their times....just do what you can. From what everyone that has completed the program says, your times improve with practice and the more you run.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goal is. I ran for 29:40 (2.64 miles) on Sunday and was pretty darn happy I just got that far. I wouldn't let myself look at my watch because I'm working on distance right now vs. speed. So if your goal is to run faster, then work on speed. If it's to get longer distances, who cares how long it takes??
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think your progress is great! I focused on endurance rather than speed or distance. I just wanted to be able to run. I say keep going and give it your all. Your endurance will eventually translate into increased speed and distance. Great job!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how long you've been running, but unless you have a lot of miles under your belt, I wouldn't even think about speed. Speed comes naturally when you increase distance. Anyone who is currently working on C25K, at least for the first time, should not see SPEED as a limiting factor in any way. Everyone starts out pretty slowly. If 2.5 miles is a significant distance for you, then focusing on your lack of speed is just going to be discouraging. When you are EASILY running 5ks and 10ks for at least several months, then maybe work on your speed. But if you're not regularly running 12-15 miles per week at a minimum, then endurance should be your focus (and then, distance)... Not speed.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how long you've been running, but unless you have a lot of miles under your belt, I wouldn't even think about speed. Speed comes naturally when you increase distance. Anyone who is currently working on C25K, at least for the first time, should not see SPEED as a limiting factor in any way. Everyone starts out pretty slowly. If 2.5 miles is a significant distance for you, then focusing on your lack of speed is just going to be discouraging. When you are EASILY running 5ks and 10ks for at least several months, then maybe work on your speed. But if you're not regularly running 12-15 miles per week at a minimum, then endurance should be your focus (and then, distance)... Not speed.

This is what I was trying to say (in fewer words and not so well)...But after rereading it it didn't make sense...lol.