Welcome everyone!

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
I brought the chardonnay.. just in case... ;o)

Now that we have a temporary home, once we get everyone following the breadcrumb trail here we can get to know a little about each other .. those that perhaps didn't come from the initial thread anyway lol.. and I have to go get some groceries before I fall into the dreaded I'm starving I'll eat anything" point!!

I think we have an awesome group so far, and can't wait to hear about everyone's goals and progress!

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Snoozie. Can't wait. I'm excited for us all.
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm headed out as well, but very much looking forward to getting to know everyone!
  • kupcake50
    kupcake50 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm glad a group of 50ish gals started a group today...it MUST be fate!!! Very excited to start this journey with so many friends in the same boat. Hopefully this will help me keep in line. I am notorious for starting on Monday and making it to Wednesday if I'm lucky...and starting again the next Monday...you see where I'm going with this. Anyway, happy to be here and I'm setting my goal for logging food "till Thursday.

On no.....I may meet a friend at Olive Garden tomorrow...I will have to think about this.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I too, look forward the getting to know everyone and continuing on this road to a healthier me! (and YOU)

Kimberly:flowerforyou:
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm glad a group of 50ish gals started a group today...it MUST be fate!!! Very excited to start this journey with so many friends in the same boat. Hopefully this will help me keep in line. I am notorious for starting on Monday and making it to Wednesday if I'm lucky...and starting again the next Monday...you see where I'm going with this. Anyway, happy to be here and I'm setting my goal for logging food "till Thursday.

On no.....I may meet a friend at Olive Garden tomorrow...I will have to think about this.

My daughter works at Olive Garden and is on this weight loss journey with me. The Stuffed Mushrooms and one of their soups are good choices. Ask them for the lower cal menu!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Okey Dokey... here we go Mad Hatters!!

I know many of us gave a little info back on the original topic about ourselves, but it got a little crazy in there for a while and I think I missed some.. I'm going to try to go back and read a few again, but if anyone would like to share a little bio so we can get to know each other??

I'll try to stick to the readers digest version: I'm 51 (as of yesterday), live in Ontario and after years of losing and regaining various amounts of weight and joining gyms (I'd kill for all that $$ back now lol) and trying every weight loss trick known to woman.. I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and given a little while to see if I can drop the weight, start exercising and stay off any meds. I am also quite frankly sick of hauling this weight around, and I'm getting creakier as I get older.. I'm starting to worry if I don't start moving my parts they're gonna seize up completely. Oh yeah.. and Im in menopause... fun?? wow!!! Sure, lets just add hot flashesm poor sleeping and cranky into that mix.. and throw in the fact I work shifts as well...

I suspect everyone else here is like me in one aspect at leas: at this age and decades of dieting, we could pretty much write our own diet book. I bet each of could easily spout the exact G.I. ratio of every food, and probably get a degree in nutirtion by now. We all know pretty much (I think?) WHAT we should be eating, and that we should be MOVING every day.... for me, it's not the what.. its the how... and I'm hoping together, we can share a few laughs and offer complete support and encouragement along the way..

My own goal at this moment has not got a number value to it - I am aiming for a 10 lb weight loss by cutting calorie intake, sticking to fresh veggies and low sugar fruits and good proteins and trying to move 30 minutes in some way every day.

So that's me in a nutshell. Ok, a big nut.. but nuts are good right? Good fats, some protein.. yup yup yup!!
  • Kellysmom78
    Kellysmom78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    posted on the other, but will say here also, I am happy to meet all of you and am looking forward to our journey together in this. Heres to all of our success, we can do this, some may lose faster and others like me, may be sssslllllloooooowwww!!! But we all can use the support!
  • Kellysmom78
    Options
    [/quote]My daughter works at Olive Garden and is on this weight loss journey with me. The Stuffed Mushrooms and one of their soups are good choices. Ask them for the lower cal menu!!!
    [/quote]

thanks, i didnt know they had a lower cal menu:bigsmile:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hi KM and welcome!! It's awesome you have your daughter as well to help you as she's on the same path!! How's today going for you in your goal?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    My name is Gail. I have been overweight for 22 years. I gained too much baby weight (64 lbs) and never lost it all. I have been adding to it on a regular basis. Food has been a hobby of mine. I used to be thinking about what I was going to eat for the next meal before I had completed eating the one before me. I don't do that any more. But I am looking into the Duct tape diet. Duct tape fixes everything!! (Ha!Ha!... It's a southern thing) I have a dry ,sarcastic sense of humor. I am at my highest weight. Around 250- ish. As some of you may know, I threw away my scales. It was too much about the number. And not enough about me and my health. I hope we can keep the communications going. I enjoy having someone to talk to ...I mean more than just... for ex: WTG!, Great job! Awesome!, Yeah!! I mean with this much girl power, we could change the world and maybe even our waistlines.. Smiles for you all. Here's hoping you all Have a Wonderful day!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hiya KC!!
    That's a great goal - logging your food til Thurs since you know your history with Wednesdays lol.. we'll get you thru to Thursday!!! And even if you do go to OG with your friends, log it anyway.... its not about perfection, its about progress... so maybe if you do go to OG.. set a little goal for that one meal.. like.. i dunno.. will enjoy a lovely meal but .. maybe decide..not have bread? or only have 1 piece of bread (if you're like me and would normally eat the whole basket that is.. ) or no wine.. or no dessert.. just one little difference to what you might normally eat wihtout worrying about losing weight... after all, life happens everyday.. there's always gonna be a birthday or girfriends night out or (gulp) summer and patios with frozen margaritas... so just try to plan one small goal for that meal maybe??
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hiya Kim!! Welcome, and back at ya!!!
    I too, look forward the getting to know everyone and continuing on this road to a healthier me! (and YOU)

Kimberly:flowerforyou:
  • Kellysmom78
    Options
    Hi KM and welcome!! It's awesome you have your daughter as well to help you as she's on the same path!! How's today going for you in your goal?

nope.....totally messed up the quote!!! that is abbezens daughter..... my daughter is all of 108 lbs!! (i knew there was a reason i really didnt like that kid!! jk) as far as my goal....not good! i just like to eat way to much!! its a hard struggle, but i keep trying, hoping that one day i will make it!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Howling with laughter at the DUCT TAPE diet Gail..... I swear to God I've been on that one at some point... (and did you know it comes in all kinds of pretty colours now?? HA!)

And I completely agree... women.. can do anything... and usually we take care of everything on our own.. but sometimes.. and specialy in this area.. we need others who understand our "moments" and don't judge... just help us when we need a little kick in the butt, or a virtual hug.. or just someone who can say omg I know exactly what you mean.. and I understand... but don't let it derail you:". Cause when we're talking to one of our own, we KNOW they understand .. and sometimes.. that's all you need.. someone to say I get it..

How's today going for you in your goal to get healthy?

I'm not actually focusing on actual number of pounds either, just on actually LOSING it.
    I'm good at losing my mind.. I dunno why i can't apply the same method to weight.. ?? :bigsmile:
  • fattofit20
    fattofit20 Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi. I'm Tina. I'm 51 years old, 5 ft. 1 inch and keep going back and forth between 128 and 130 pounds. I had gotten up to 136 and when I had a hard time walking up and down steps I decided I'd better do something about this weight before it gets any more out of control. I never had an issue with weight until menopause. I went through it at age 48 and at the same time was going through the break up of my marriage. Initially I lost weight from the stress. However, in the last year or so I noticed the scale creeping up each week. I am not use to this as I've always been between a size 2 and 4. Now I'm a size 8 and sometimes even a 10! My weight is mostly in my stomach. My problem is that I absolutely loathe exercising. I can watch what I eat and have been pretty good keeping my calories at around 1200. Occassionally going over and sometimes under. It averages out. I just can never, ever stick with an exercise program. Anyway, that's my story. It's very nice to have a group where we can talk about menopausal, or weight issues.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Wasnt you, it was me KM!!

I just realized how that quote thing works.. re prints the original post and adds your comments at the end... duh..... sorry!!! I warned everyone I was a complete puter loser.... lol but this is just embarrassing!!! Sorry about that!

Yep I'm kinda of the same... hence why I'm choosing to go the less calories a day route this timje instead of following one diet or another.. i flunked math in school but I understand the concept - calories in vs caloriees burned every day... ummm... well.. lets just say that's why i am where i am now!! :o)
  • shewhowrestleswolves
    Options
    This group is exactly what I was looking for!! So excited. I lost my 5th pound today! Well I wrote a bit about myself in the original conversation leading up to the start up of this group. I'm 50. Done with menopause. It was a two year process but it seems to be over. I have had weight problems all of my life but this time I refuse to gain it back again once I lose it and will log my food forevermore because everytime I lose weight I think I don't have to worry about it any more and then gain it back. I am pretty fit considering my excess poundage and eat very healthy - just too much. I am outdoorsy and love animals. I am in nursing school because I wanted to do something different with the second half of my life. It is quite challenging and I am old enought to be most of my classmates mother but I am having a great time. I am Mom to a 14 year old boy who is a great kid but breaks my heart with his snarly teenage attitude most days. Still I know he needs to separate from Mom and try not to take it personally. I have a loving supportive and thin husband. That's me in a nutshell!:heart:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    This group is exactly what I was looking for!! So excited. I lost my 5th pound today! Well I wrote a bit about myself in the original conversation leading up to the start up of this group. I'm 50. Done with menopause. It was a two year process but it seems to be over. I have had weight problems all of my life but this time I refuse to gain it back again once I lose it and will log my food forevermore because everytime I lose weight I think I don't have to worry about it any more and then gain it back. I am pretty fit considering my excess poundage and eat very healthy - just too much. I am outdoorsy and love animals. I am in nursing school because I wanted to do something different with the second half of my life. It is quite challenging and I am old enought to be most of my classmates mother but I am having a great time. I am Mom to a 14 year old boy who is a great kid but breaks my heart with his snarly teenage attitude most days. Still I know he needs to separate from Mom and try not to take it personally. I have a loving supportive and thin husband. That's me in a nutshell!:heart:

Try not to kill him....( I know, I wanted to mine. ) He is going to turn into the most amazing young man. I thought I would never make it through those years. But we did! ......I too always yoyo, but I've never been aware of exactly how many calories are in things..That is what really helps. I still eat bad and I have to be truthful to myself and others, I always will. But I hope I make more good choices than bad, andthat it will work out in my favor.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    OMG SHE!! huge, HUGE congrats on 5lbs!! you ROCK woman.. !! I can't wait til I can say that LOL!!

You're doing awesome.. you must be so proud of yourself!! Well done!!

and congrats too on doing something amazing at this stage of life with the nursing!
    I can't help with the snarly teen as I don't have one LOL.. but I know my nephew has no idea how close he came to ending life as he knew it during that period - my sister got all her grey hairs from the teenage years with him !
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So glad I checked out the posts today! I tried once before to join an established group of "ladies our age", and I felt like the new girl in high school looking for a place to sit in the cafeteria!

I'm Melissa, I'm 51 years old and have struggled with my weight my whole life. I've taken it off a few times, and somehow I end up fatter than when I started :ohwell: I live with a skinny family (I don't know HOW this happened, and it really stinks), which makes my struggle very lonely at times and very hard a lot of the time. To have people to share with, who understand how challenging this can be has been incredibly helpful to me.

I'm in the middle of menopause (meaning I only seem to get my period when I'm on vacation or in the middle of nowhere), I'm hot all the time (skinny people are cold all the time, which also stinks), and my family thinks I'm possessed.

I exercise every day (strength training 3x a week and cardio the other 4), and have just recently started riding my bike further than around the block or to Dairy Queen.

I live with my husband, and three teenagers (oldest in college) who make me want to eat a quart of ice cream every time they open their mouths.

Really looking forwarding to helping each other find our best selves!

kupcake: I'm thinking the combination of your name and the picture might be problematic :wink:

Snoozie: decades of dieting, that makes me so sad (it's been like 4 decades for me, OMG!)

Gail: we need to find new hobbies (the eating thing is clearly not working for us), and at times I have wondered if I could super glue my molars together (but I like the duct tape idea).

kellysmom: I have a 101 lb daughter, who rejoices when they numbers on the scale go up, if I didn't love her so much, I'd probably hate her

shewhowrestle: OMG, 14 year old son and thin husband too! I often think if I had a fat husband, I'd be one of those people on tv who is so fat they can't move and their mother is bringing Big Macs to them in bed. On the other hand, when he's eating popcorn next to me (with BUTTER on it) I contemplate murder (momentarily).