"Just one more pack!"

Options
Shelle921
Shelle921 Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone! I just joined today, with the intention of tracking food and exercise, but I have spent most of my time here in the Quitting Smoking discussions. Everyone has brought some great advice to the table and I definitely plan of downloading "The Easiest Way to Quit Smoking".

My main problem comes with the end of each pack. I think to myself, ok, this is it, but then the cravings hit, and it's "Just one more pack!" I am not great with willpower (food OR cigs) so pushing it off to another day is usually what I do. Does anyone have any experience with this? How did you push through it?

Michelle

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been on MFP for almost a year and a half, lost the weight, started maintenance, and now am quitting smoking. Baby steps to getting healthy! I just made my first post to this group today:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/662578-new-to-group-and-10-days-smoke-free

If you are talking about the book "Easyway to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr, that is what I used. It puts you in the right frame of mind to quit. I didn't find it quite as "easy" as he claimed (hardly any cravings, my behind!) but it helps you to lose all of the lame excuses you've been giving yourself and others for why you haven't quit yet. It also makes you realize what a slave to cigarettes you really are. It helped me to finally face it head on and just do it. The biggest thing it helped me with is deciphering between real, nicotine withdrawal cravings and psychological cravings. I was battling my mind more than the physical cravings. I still am fighting the good fight, as I am 10 days into being cigarette free.

It doesn't look like this board gets as much traffic as I had hoped but I'll be here to cheer you on!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I quit 8 months ago with this book and smoked while reading.... Don't know when exactly I had the last one. Nothing is easy but when you understand what's going on and are in the right mind set, then you can do anything:bigsmile:
    I smoked for almost 37 years, more than 1 pack a day. I am so glad I did it, so proud, and so will you.
    When the craving hit I replaced it with push ups :-) You can do this and think of all the nice things you can buy with the money NOT spent on cigarettes:happy: I bought a treadmill and am fitter than ever before.
    Try it, you won't regret:flowerforyou:
  • Shelle921
    Shelle921 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I love the push-ups idea...just maybe not in public! =)
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's so great to hear from people who have successfully quit cold-turkey. I'm doing that tomorrow and am pretty freaked out :( How do you get through those moments when you feel like you're just going to go absolutely crazy? I tend to become extremely emotional, anxious, and irritable when I attempt cold-turkey...