Multivitamin & supplements

Options
roro73
roro73 Posts: 153 Member
I'm just wondering what types of multivitamins and supplements are good for a low carb WOE. Any recommendations?

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, whatever is on sale and I have a coupon, but no iron formula, I'm male and eat plenty of red meat
    250 mg magnesium
    Cinnamon with chromium
    Folic acid 800 mcg
    D3 1000 iu
    And a tsp of fish oil on days I font eat salmon
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what types of multivitamins and supplements are good for a low carb WOE. Any recommendations?

What ever decision you make, please make sure you consult with your physician/overseeing clinicians before taking anything over the counter...
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I take potassium to avoid the leg cramps that I've been getting since going low carb. They are not your typical charlie horses. They were horrible!!!!!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I take some kind of probiotic thing since I don't eat yogurt anymore... and a plain daily multivitamin and an fish oil. I haven't talked to my doc yet, but have an appt next week for a check up - one month of low carb.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my vitamins always expire before i use them.. i'm forever forgetting to take them.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    A daily 'mens' multivitamin ... Lord knows if it does any good.

Daily fish oil (for Vitamin A and D)

Omega 3 three times a day

Vitamin C twice daily ('cos the body can't store it)

And, more recently, Magnesium late in the day to promote sleep ... which it seems to do for me.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I think a good multivitamin and fish oils are a good start for me. I'll check with my doc next month when I go in for a physical. It'll include bloodwork so hopefully he can tell me where I'm falling short.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I take potassium to avoid the leg cramps that I've been getting since going low carb. They are not your typical charlie horses. They were horrible!!!!!
    DebbieMc3-My mom was taking potassium for muscle cramps and got a verbal smack down from her Dr. She said too much potassium cancause heart issues and to take magnesium instead. Actually I was suffering from leg cramps on Tuesday and have been taking magnesium ever since and no cramping since.
  • RunawayMeatstick
    Options
    Whatever you choose, try adding a fiber supplement (generic psyllium). Not only will it keep you regular, but if you take it before eating it will help fill you up.