My BMR

NWCountryGal
NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
My BMR comes out to 1800 calories compared to what MFP has shown for me at 1200 calories per day??

My body fat % is 36.7 on the military calc. and on the old calc. it's 27.2??

I read all the material on Dan's thread and I don't get why there is such a difference and what is right and what is wrong?

My stats are:

weight: 133
height:62 in.
waist: 35
hip: 38
wrist: 5.5
neck: 13
forearm: 8

If someone could tell me why the difference between mfp calc and military calc I would appreciate it a lot. That is a lot of extra calories to eat. Maybe I am just not advanced enough for your group and don't be shy to tell me that if that's the case.

I simply want to make sure my body is getting enough nutrition to firm up and get rid of the fat. I now eat all my exercise cals according to mfp, 1200 and then if I burn 400 I eat most and sometimes over that amount.

denise

Replies

• skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    My BMR comes out to 1800 calories compared to what MFP has shown for me at 1200 calories per day??

My body fat % is 36.7 on the military calc. and on the old calc. it's 27.2??

I read all the material on Dan's thread and I don't get why there is such a difference and what is right and what is wrong?

My stats are:

weight: 133
    height:62 in.
    waist: 35
    hip: 38
    wrist: 5.5
    neck: 13
    forearm: 8

If someone could tell me why the difference between mfp calc and military calc I would appreciate it a lot. That is a lot of extra calories to eat. Maybe I am just not advanced enough for your group and don't be shy to tell me that if that's the case.

I simply want to make sure my body is getting enough nutrition to firm up and get rid of the fat. I now eat all my exercise cals according to mfp, 1200 and then if I burn 400 I eat most and sometimes over that amount.

denise

First thing - There is no "advanced enough" in this group - I have not seen a more supportive group of people - welcome to the group!

I ran your numbers at Fat2Fitradio.com for just maintaining weight as you said you wanted to tone and firm and I think you are within your weight range. I did not input a body fat number as that be be calculated so many different ways.

Your BMR came out to be 1248 calories - that is what your body needs to fuel basic functions and with no activity beyond essentially laying in bed. I think what you referred to as BMR of 1800 calories would be what is TDEE or Total Daily Expended Energy. TDEE is the amount of calories you burn in a 24 hour period - sleep, work, household activities, exercise, etc... At Sedentary (desk job) and very little extra stuff out of the office you would eat 1498 calories to maintain. 1-3 days of activity/exercise or lightly active is 1716 calories. 3-5 days of activity is 1934 calories. I am thinking you told MFP that you were lightly active to moderately active.

If you want to lose a bit, I ran the numbers for losing 10 pounds (down to 123). The suggested calories to eat came out as sedentary 1445, lightly active 1656 and moderately active 1866. That would be a relatively slow weight loss as the calorie deficit is not large but if you only have a few pounds to lose, that would be appropriate. They do state that it would be OK to eat 200-300 calories less when you are close to help speed up the weight loss a bit. Using the moderately active example, there is a reduction of 68 calories a day or if you add 200 to that, 268 calories a day for a total intake of 1666 calories.

Depending on what you entered in here at MFP for activity level and how much weight you want to lose, MFP will tell you how many calories to eat a day and it does not include exercise. If you put in 1 pound a week or greater, you will likely be told that you should eat 1200 calories.

Using the EMTWL process, if your TDEE is currently 1934 (moderately active) it is suggested you cut at 15% which would be an intake of 1647 chich is pretty close to the Fat2Fit calculation.

Hope this helps and I'm sure there will be a lot more responses and probably clearer than mine. Again, welcome to the group!

Susan