Thoughts on med reduction w/o doc orders

Options
newmein2013
newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
I've been taking 1000 Metformin twice daily, reduced on my own to 500 twice daily, now reduced again on my own to 500 daily. FBG has been in the 90's the whole week since last reduction. I don't go to the doctor until October. I can call but I'm being silly and want to walk in there proud that I've come this far on my own. So, IF you were going to reduce w/o docs orders, would you take that final step and eliminate the last 500 daily? I;m thinking give it a full month and if the numbers stay in the 90's or lower, I would like to eliminate. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I always try to tell people to talk to their dr. That being said, with met there isn't really a terrible consequence if you reduce your dose. Your bg goes up and you go back to taking it, the few days it is elevated really isn't going to make a difference. I would probably stop and then test a lot. There are many T2s that are diet and exercise controlled for many years. With more workouts and better eating you may have made yourself one of those. Just don't be stubborn and not take it if you numbers start climbing to an unacceptable range.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I took myself off the Metformin without the Dr.'s say so because of the side effects. When I went to see him, I told him...he wasnt upset. He asked me how my numbers were and when I told him, he told me to just stay off it and he would reevealuate me in 3 months.

However, I do take the Met occasionally still, since it wont hurt me. The Dr. actually upped me to 1000mg 2x a day to help me with weight loss. So in order to give me a bit of help in my program, I still take it once in awhile. Thats the one advantage to Metformin...helps remove extra sugar from your blood.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    Sharon, my thoughts exactly. Thanks. I won't be stubborn. I'm just in a little bit of amazement that this day has finally arrived and I keep hearing my endo's voice saying, "You know, if you lose weight you could be off of all these meds." LOL I know he'll be so happy to seee I finally did it after 10 years.

Crochetluvr, Thanks for sharing. I forgot about that little advantage of osing weight with the Metformin. Now I can blame my recent slowed loss on the reductions and ease up on myself. I wonder exactly what it does. For instance, does it actually supress the appetite or simply help burn the sugar as you said? I guess it doesn't really matter. I just have to stay focussed.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm always in the camp of communicating with your doctor first, just to get his/her advice on the situation. But there isn't the great danger going off metformin that there is in say, going off a blood pressure medicine without consultation. I have considered doing it myself over the last couple of months, as my numbers have beengood on 500 x2, but I have waited. I see my doctor tomorrow, and am going to discuss either going off completely or upping the dose to try to help my weight loss that has been completely stalled the last six months. Try it if you want. If your numbers start to get too high for your liking, start taking it again.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    Thanks Travis. Please let us know what the dr says. I'm curious. That's a ivery good and nteresting question you're asking him. I wouldn't have even thought of it.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    tsaan: that's great. I hope you're able to successfully reduce the actos. Thanks.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wonder exactly what it does. For instance, does it actually supress the appetite or simply help burn the sugar as you said?

I don't know that it suppresses appetite. However, since metformin helps your body better utilize the insulin you are still producing, you're not as hungry. When we have insulin resistance, we eat, but our body doesn't properly utilize the insulin, so our cells aren't getting "fed" properly. The brain sends out hunger signals, we eat more, produce more insulin that we don't properly utilize, still feel hungry, eat more, and so on...a vicious cycle. I believe that's why many of us T2s are overweight.