NROLFW and C25K

Options
rchupka87
rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
I have a question for all my NROLFW ladies.... is anyone else doing anything besides NR? I have been doing NR MWF, and C25K on TTS, with a rest day on Sunday. Is anyone else doing cardio along with lifting?

Replies

• stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've only just started lifting but I am doing 2-3 days of cardio, around 20-30 mins long. I'm seriously considering C25K for this fall. I think I need to get a treadmill, though.
  • rchupka87
    Options
    This is my second time starting C25K - and I love it. I had to stop last round on Doctor's orders. I was having issues with Migraines, and I was told no more running until my CTs, MRIs and MRVs came back clean. They did, and now I am back at it. I actually like running outside more. But, it's been in the 100s the last few weeks where I live, so I have been hitting the treadmill at the gym.

I was just wondering who was doing strictly NROLFW, and who was doing NR and cardio, and if there was a difference in the results...
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some cardio off and on the whole time I've been doing NROLFW. I just started C210K a couple of weeks ago, so now I'm running 2-3 days a week and doing NR 3 days a week.

My take on the combo is this: If your main priority is gaining strength and building muscle, than you're probably better off without significant cardio on off days. It's better to save your strength and energy for lifting, and to give yourself a true rest/recovery period between training sessions. BUT if you have a more moderate, rounded set of goals (ie. fat loss while preserving muscle mass or similar), will be satisfied if you don't put on as much of muscle or gain as much strength during the process, and/or just really like the way cardio makes you feel...then go ahead and combine the two.

Also, since stages 2 and up incorporate interval training on B days, you could just use your C25K as your interval training (which is what I do--I don't do the intervals after my regular workout). A lot of NR peeps do the intervals on "rest" days, just to shorten their time in the gym.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do a short run as my warm up for the lifting session. On the non-lifting days, I golf, bike, splash about in the pool, yardwork, etc. My running goal is to get faster at running a 5k. I've done the super endurance/slogging through the race just to finish and I want to start really improving my running time on short races.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am on my last 2 runs of the C25K program. I started New Rules about the same time (maybe a few weeks later..hmmm). I am moving on to Stage 2. I just go with how I am feeling. I don't run usually on the same day as weights but on an off day. If I am super sore running usually (not always) helps that believe it or not. Everything comes after weights though. If I am tired from weights I do nothing else to allow for proper recovery.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do both lifting and cardio but on opposite days. I'm trying to lose weight and strengthen/tone muscles that I haven't seem in quite some time :-)) Sadly, I don't lose weight at all, if I don't do cardio. Today was the 1st day in several weeks that I was able to walk./run outside - after 10 days of 100+ temps - it was wonderful to be outside!
  • rchupka87
    Options
    For those of you that are doing both - What kind of results have you had? How heavy are you lifting?
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    For those of you that are doing both - What kind of results have you had? How heavy are you lifting?

I have about 60 more lbs I'd like to lose.But I haven't lost any weight at all in Stage 1 (I am not new entirely new to lifting did it pre-child 7 years ago). But lots of inches lost and I lift heavy (130lbs squats and 150 deadlifts), I am moving onto Stage 2 next week.

Forgot to mention that I am on the last 2 runs of the C25K program this week. I try to stay away from the scale but its hard. My weight just keeps going up and down by about 1-3lbs.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do cardio as a warm-up, and then intervals after lifting. I have to condense my workouts because I work 3 12-hour shifts and can't get in a good workout on those days. I warm up on the treadmill with a 5 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk. Then I do my NROL plan. Then I do intervals on the treadmill (walk 3 min, run 1 min x 4 or 5) or a spin class, or elliptical if I'm feeling lazy or tired.

During Stage 1, I stayed the same weight, but dropped 3% body fat and gained 3 pounds of lean mass. I probably went from a size 10 to a size 8 during that time.

I know that the book doesn't encourage the way I'm doing it, but it's what works for me right now.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I do running with the program too, but there was a time that I had to stop running because it was affecting my lifts. I thought I read somewhere that as long as you keep the miles low (3 miles or less) it shouldn't affect your lifts too much.

I am going through C25K again to try and get faster, so I do that 2x, intervals 1-2x and lift every Su, TU, TH.

Hope that helps!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time figuring out what type of cardio to do on my off days from lifting too! I tried C25K, but it was so boring. I love doing cardio classes, but it adds lifting and they don't recommend additional lifting on top of NROLFW.
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been doing both also. I am brand new to running - but not to lifting. I was lifting before - but more in the Body Pump class format. So the lifting heavy is new to me. I do everything on different days. I do C25K on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday and do NROL4W on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.

I also love my cardio classes so on Saturday I do a cardio class (usually kickboxing) and put my weight lifting session after it. I know it isn't the way the author prefers - but it works for me! :)

It hasn't affected my weights - I am lifting fairly heavy (for me)and am pleased with my results. I am in Stage 2 and am deadlifting about 95 lbs, lat pull about 85-90 lbs, step ups are 15 lbs in each hand , etc.

Sherry