Frustrated

HeidiHoMom
HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm still hovering at the same weight...I know my body is changing and I should forget what the scale says but dammit I'm only 5'2 and being in the 190's is hard. I was up to 194.8 the other day but today I am back down to 192.9. I'm not going over my calories or anything, my weight is just hovering there. I've even been more active the last few weeks too but still falling within the moderate range.

I had hoped to be back at my prepregnancy weight by the middle of June and here we are at the middle of July and I am still 6 or so lbs away. At the rate I'm losing it will take me a year to lose those 6 lbs....and I have another at least 40 to lose on top of that.

Grrrrrrrr

(And this is not complaining about EM2WL because it does work, it's just not working fast enough for me....I initially lost 6.5 lbs but nothing since that initial loss, it's been 6 weeks since I have seen a loss).

Replies

• bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    aw :(

maybe time for a change in cals or activity? did you recalculate your calories after your 6 lbs loss?

side note: being 6lbs from your first goal is still something to be really, really proud of. I mean, sometimes i feel like i can sneeze and loose 5 lbs....or watch and episode of SVU and gain 7 LOL. scale number is so unpredictable!
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    hmmm ok so I kind of know how you are feeling. I started off at 220 I lost 10lbs. in one month, cool!! Then I started MFP and watched what I ate by logging all my food right well that took me 6 weeks to drop 5lbs. Then I went back up a week later. Last week I stayed home all week, vaca. do to the holiday, and I ate more and had at least two protein shakes a day. I worked out at home with dumb bells, road my stationary bike, and started walking with my wife. Yesterday and today I jumped on the scale with low hopes after a week of being home. Miraculously the scale had dropped down to 204, SWEET!! When I was off I went over my calories once, and the rest of the time I came really close to zereo. Maybe MFP knows more than me and you and we really do need to try very hard to get to Zereo every day...........

Best of luck to you, and you know we will be here for you.....:flowerforyou:
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    I thought the TDEE break that you mentioned in another thread may be the ticket for you. What date did you start the cut? I understand why slow is better but I go nuts when I see success stories that have lost twice as much weight as I have, in the same or less time. I have to stop reading them because the result is too distressing! I stall for a week or two - I cannot imagine your frustration! Hang in there - know that you are a bright spot for so many other folks!
  • Carani
    Carani Posts: 24
    Don't you see changes in inches when you measure?
    Could you be holding on to some extra water?

I can totally understand the frustration. Heck, I even fell for the '2 shakes plus a meal a day' thingy when I stalled beginning of this year. (this was not on EM2WL though, just my own sensible/slow weight loss program)

Re-reading your post you say that you can feel your body changing. Try and hold on to that feeling! (or maybe compare before photos with a current one to get visual confirmation)
    Hang in there!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I agree-try to up your calories, maybe that brings your metabolism up to speed again.
    Or eat at TDEE for a week or two
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    I lost 16 lbs in about 6 weeks after joining MFP eating about 1600 calories a day and walking for 45 minutes on the treadmill 7 days a week. Lost some inches in my belly as well. Then it stalled as usual.
    So I decided to switch it up. Joined the EM2LW group here, upped my calories to 3000 and started doing Tap Out XT DVD's 6 days a week. I am in the middle of week 6 haven't lost a pound. I have lost inches, and I am a whole lot stronger. I step on the scale every day. I range from 230 to 237 (yep in 24 hours) but I don't really care. I am burning fat, and losing inches. I am even starting to see some definition to my abs!!!
    I can stay at 230 forever as long as I get to a healthy fat %. Its fat I want to lose, that is what me and "others" see. So unless you are inviting people in to look at the scale while you are standing on them; who really gives a darn?
  • HeidiHoMom
    Yes I have seen some inches lost, my pics look better and I am seeing some muscle definition. It's just when you have 40-50 lbs to lose when the scale isn't moving it's frustrating.

In all honesty I probably do need a diet break, I just haven't worked up the courage to do it yet.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Yes I have seen some inches lost, my pics look better and I am seeing some muscle definition. It's just when you have 40-50 lbs to lose when the scale isn't moving it's frustrating.

In all honesty I probably do need a diet break, I just haven't worked up the courage to do it yet.

Have you ever taken one? If not, it's absolutely time.

You will come back refreshed and ready to keep going.

What was your pre-preg weight and how long of a time frame did you give yourself to get the weight off? Was that time frame realistic? By whose standards?

You can do this, girl. :wink: But you have to look at things objectively, and you may need that break to just clear your mind and get ready for the next phase.

Kiki
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    I agree-try to up your calories, maybe that brings your metabolism up to speed again.
    Or eat at TDEE for a week or two

^^^highly agree! Take the break, make your body happy :wink:
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Another one who agrees on diet break. :)

I have heard by nutritionists that it usually takes 2-3 weeks for your body to adapt to new eating plans. You don't need to go lOnger than that. How about taking 2 weeks of eating at Tdee? Just make sure you recalculate all your numbers before you start so you have the most current data to start your journey. :)

However, if you feel you want to try the other path: reducing calories; you should try reducing 300 calories from your Tdee and try that for 2-3 weeks and see what happens then. If you are still stuck even then, gather all the strength and do a reset.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member

I can stay at 230 forever as long as I get to a healthy fat %. Its fat I want to lose, that is what me and "others" see. So unless you are inviting people in to look at the scale while you are standing on them; who really gives a darn?

THIS!!! I can eat this way forever if the inches drop slowly but surely.
  • HeidiHoMom

What was your pre-preg weight and how long of a time frame did you give yourself to get the weight off? Was that time frame realistic? By whose standards?

You can do this, girl. :wink: But you have to look at things objectively, and you may need that break to just clear your mind and get ready for the next phase.

KikiG

Diet break?? LOL When I was pregnant I guess that was a break. Otherwise I have pretty much been dieting my whole life. I have never taken a break aside from when I was trying to concieve and when I was pregnant.

I gave birth in november and my goal was to lose the weight by the middle of June. My prepregnancy weight was 186 (so about 40 lbs heavier than where I should be). The day I went into labour I was 235 so I have dropped all but 6 lbs but I am breastfeeding so that can account for those 6 lbs in fluid and what not BUT since I still have 40-50lbs to lose I would think I would still be losing.

You're right though, and I know it. I need to take a diet break. I am just really afraid to see a gain...I have worked so hard to get here. I know, I just need to do it. And that is part of the reason I posted this thread. I knew people would tell me to take a break or do a reset. I think I just needed to be told and I need to pych myself up for it.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member

KikiG

Diet break?? LOL When I was pregnant I guess that was a break. Otherwise I have pretty much been dieting my whole life. I have never taken a break aside from when I was trying to concieve and when I was pregnant.

I gave birth in november and my goal was to lose the weight by the middle of June. My prepregnancy weight was 186 (so about 40 lbs heavier than where I should be). The day I went into labour I was 235 so I have dropped all but 6 lbs but I am breastfeeding so that can account for those 6 lbs in fluid and what not BUT since I still have 40-50lbs to lose I would think I would still be losing.

You're right though, and I know it. I need to take a diet break. I am just really afraid to see a gain...I have worked so hard to get here. I know, I just need to do it. And that is part of the reason I posted this thread. I knew people would tell me to take a break or do a reset. I think I just needed to be told and I need to pych myself up for it.
    *cheers* you can do it, you can do it, you can do it *cheers*
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    *Hugs* You've got your answer. I just wanted to join in the cheering section. You can do it! Even though you're not doing a full reset, why not pop into that thread for the support for the two weeks that you need for your break of eating at TDEE!
  • listabit
    listabit Posts: 28 Member
    It would be great to take a diet break while breastfeeding. Good for you and the baby and maybe not as scary that way. Best of luck. I am definately in touch with the frustration feeling in the weight loss arena.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    im confused here!! what is the difference between a diet break and a reset?!?!?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    im confused here!! what is the difference between a diet break and a reset?!?!?

A break is for someone whose metabolism is in good working order, but perhaps needs a bit revved up from eating at their cut for awhile. The amount of time between diet breaks will vary from person to person. The length of time for a break is 1-2 weeks.

A reset is for someone whose metabolism is damaged due to yo-yo dieting, very low cal dieting, etc...The length of time for a reset is 4 (absolute bare minimum) to 12 weeks or more, with most opting for at least 8 weeks.

I hope that helps!
  • slays1415
    slays1415 Posts: 22 Member
    This may sound counterintuitive, but your body may be hanging onto weight because you're making breast milk. I know "they say" you lose weight faster if breastfeeding, but it was always the opposite for me. With both kids I couldn't lose anything until I quit BF and had my body back to normal (hormones, calorie needs, etc.). Obviously I'm not advocating that you stop just to lose weight, just saying that might be a factor. You could try monitoring closely until you are done breastfeeding (to make sure you don't gain back any of those hard-fought-and-lost pounds). Just a thought...
  • HeidiHoMom
    This may sound counterintuitive, but your body may be hanging onto weight because you're making breast milk. I know "they say" you lose weight faster if breastfeeding, but it was always the opposite for me. With both kids I couldn't lose anything until I quit BF and had my body back to normal (hormones, calorie needs, etc.). Obviously I'm not advocating that you stop just to lose weight, just saying that might be a factor. You could try monitoring closely until you are done breastfeeding (to make sure you don't gain back any of those hard-fought-and-lost pounds). Just a thought...

It could be the case...and don't worry I wouldn't stop BFing just to lose weight, not worth it to me or the baby. I will be stopping when he is around a year (in November). At that point I also plan on doing a full 8 week reset.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    *Hugs* You've got your answer. I just wanted to join in the cheering section. You can do it! Even though you're not doing a full reset, why not pop into that thread for the support for the two weeks that you need for your break of eating at TDEE!

Me too, Me too!!:heart::heart: :heart:

You got this, you really do!! And I agree with the person who mentioned that the breastfeeding may have your body holding onto weight.

Feed yourself, Feed the baby, EAT!!!!:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: