eating more (still have a deficit) and gaining weight

jgkoutr
jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
SO, I have upped my cal trying to keep my deficit no more than 500 cal a day...so I have been avg 2000 to 3500 cal deficit a week...I went from 179 to 187 in 3 weeks...and all my clothes are tight!...I know that most will get on here and say to do a reset but I can't afford to go buy a whole new wardrobe for work.

has anybody found a deficit that has worked for them ...I use my BMF to help determine my burn (which is pretty close with scooby sight)...I'm ok with losing slowly I just can't gain anymore weight...and even if its mostly water...

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I know that you probably don't want to hear it, but if your body doesn't let go, your metabolism is not where it should be.
    If you don't want to do a reset, that's fine, but a deficit of 500 is too big.
    2-300 is about a good range
    If you have a BMF you know where your TDEE is-take 10% off and eat that amount.
    If you have been on low cals for a long time, it might not be working though.
    Believe me, nobody wants to gain weight-but if that is what you need to do in order to lose weight in a healthy way I would think about it.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    I know that you probably don't want to hear it, but if your body doesn't let go, your metabolism is not where it should be.
    If you don't want to do a reset, that's fine, but a deficit of 500 is too big.
    2-300 is about a good range
    If you have a BMF you know where your TDEE is-take 10% off and eat that amount.
    If you have been on low cals for a long time, it might not be working though.
    Believe me, nobody wants to gain weight-but if that is what you need to do in order to lose weight in a healthy way I would think about it.

I agree 100%. It's worth it in the long run to give your body some love with a reset. Most people do not gain a ton on the reset. There's usually a bit of gain followed by a plateau. Some people even find that while their weight plateaus their clothes get looser. For some the clothes do get tighter. I know it's not the answer you want, but I have to be honest. If eating at TDEE - cut (a more reasonable cut than 500 calories) doesn't work, the reset is really what you need to do.

Hang in there. Those of us who have definitely feel that it's worth it!
  • jgkoutr
    jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
    thanks for the support. I'm still thinking about it. I'll finish this week off and evaluate if I should reset...I just feel like crying when I think about eating more food ...sounds crazy but I know you guys get it :(
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member

This is a fantastic article. Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to try and find the original study.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    yes, thx for the link above! plus the oxygen site has some great info!
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Guys, I reckon my deficit is around -400 daily.

Should I up some more? I used Scooby to calculate it but I use Fitbit and HRM so know an average of what I burn daily.

Or should I wait to see the results I get with everything as it is first?
  • MeganKate24

Should I up some more? I used Scooby to calculate it but I use Fitbit and HRM so know an average of what I burn daily.

BTW - only day 2 for me!!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member

BTW - only day 2 for me!!
    2-300 kcal deficit is usually a good place to start with :)
  • MeganKate24
    I'm not being very consistent so far! Lol!

I'll do some maths and change it so that my deficit is -300.

Noor - you said the other day that Scooby undercalculates for you too - do you go off your own devices as well then? Or have you just added a bit more onto what it says you should eat? Or stuck with Scooby...

xx