Metabolism Reset Needed or not?

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
So I started my weight loss with a special program I joined that was low calories, low carb, low fat, high protein. I did this program for about 1.5 months. Prior to this I was eating a normal amount but I wasn't tracking how much.

Low calorie diet was about 700-800 cal for a month then went up to about 1,000 for the next couple of weeks (I know, it sounds bad and I was taking a bunch of supplements which I didn't like doing so I went off the program after losing 18 lb).

For the next month I started Insanity program 6 days a week and sometimes substituting with weight lifting and upped my calories to about 1500-1600 and not losing weight for a month now. On average I burn between 350-450 calories per workout.

I decided in the last couple of days to up again between 1700-1900 daily.

My BMR is about 1,550
My TDEE at moderate exercise level is about 2,350

Do I need a full reset by eating at 2,400 or should I be ok just going with 1700-1900 daily?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Yes, doing the reset would be beneficial for you. When you started the Insanity program you upped your calories, but also increased your burned calories, so still netting below BMR . Total time under BMR= 3 months!
    I would suggest eating your TDEE for 6-8 weeks, making sure you net above BMR every day.

Please read "what to expect when upping your calories" (sticky ^) and this was posted by JadeRabbit (member):

While avoiding my lastest uni assignment I was researching the nature of hypermetabolic response (increased metabolism) due to increased calorie intake after a period of calorie restriction. Its most relevant to ED people but thinking back on when I upped my calories to above my BMR I had a response that seems to be repeated by a few others in the eat more group.

1. 1200 and not hungry dont want to eat more,
    2. Up calories feel overfull
    3. After two days of eating more I am ravenous and want even more food.
    4. Feel energised and "active" continue to eat at new calorie level
    5. Energy disappears for three weeks and I am exhausted.
    6. Energy starts to return and I stabilize.

So how many went through step 5? I've been wondering if the metabolic response "overshoots" and for a short period of time even with the raised amount of calories you can still be undereating as the calculators out there dont take into account the metabolic response that occurs when you first start eating properly after restricting calories for a time.

This is an extract describing the hypermetabolic state experienced by recovering ED people. -

When recovering from a state of prolonged starvation, an individual suffering from anorexia will enter a hypermetabolic state. During the period of starvation, the body will enter a lowered metabolic state. When the patient begins eating a normal diet once again, the body's metabolism shoots up dramatically before stabilizing.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Hypermetabolic? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6828026_meanin...z1vV6JGmVJ

I went through all those stages, most people do too....good luck!
  • onikonor
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing the stages I would expect to go through.

Is TDEE of 2,350 reasonable assuming my exercise level or am I overshooting it?

I'm 5'5, 27, weight 161 lb.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    per Scooby site:

BMR: 1470

1-3 hrs exercise/week: 2020

3-5 hrs/week: 2280

5-6 hrs/week: 2530

7-21hrs/week: 2790

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing the stages I would expect to go through.

Is TDEE of 2,350 reasonable assuming my exercise level or am I overshooting it?

I'm 5'5, 27, weight 161 lb.

I ditto the reset. I upped my calories to 1800 and wasn't losing. I read somewhere that the healthy cut may be accepted as the new TDEE when you come from VLCD. Can someone confirm this? I now decided to do the reset and will cut for weight loss once my body heals and wish I had done it right away before even trying the cut.

I'm coming from Insanity, completed the first round and decided to do a hybird of Insanity and p90x. I also did Asylum for couple days and Scooby over-esitmated my numbers for both, Asylum and for the second month of Insanity (5-6 hours workout). I just did Pure Cardio (month 1) yesterday and burned 220 cal according to my Bodybug vs 372 according to my HRM (154 bpm average) My TDEE for the hybird is approx 2100 according to my Bodybugg. I definitely would recommend getting a device to get more accurate numbers.
  • MeDoula
    Options
    Yes, doing the reset would be beneficial for you. When you started the Insanity program you upped your calories, but also increased your burned calories, so still netting below BMR . Total time under BMR= 3 months!
    I would suggest eating your TDEE for 6-8 weeks, making sure you net above BMR every day.

Please read "what to expect when upping your calories" (sticky ^) and this was posted by JadeRabbit (member):

While avoiding my lastest uni assignment I was researching the nature of hypermetabolic response (increased metabolism) due to increased calorie intake after a period of calorie restriction. Its most relevant to ED people but thinking back on when I upped my calories to above my BMR I had a response that seems to be repeated by a few others in the eat more group.

1. 1200 and not hungry dont want to eat more,
    2. Up calories feel overfull
    3. After two days of eating more I am ravenous and want even more food.
    4. Feel energised and "active" continue to eat at new calorie level
    5. Energy disappears for three weeks and I am exhausted.
    6. Energy starts to return and I stabilize.

So how many went through step 5? I've been wondering if the metabolic response "overshoots" and for a short period of time even with the raised amount of calories you can still be undereating as the calculators out there dont take into account the metabolic response that occurs when you first start eating properly after restricting calories for a time.

This is an extract describing the hypermetabolic state experienced by recovering ED people. -

When recovering from a state of prolonged starvation, an individual suffering from anorexia will enter a hypermetabolic state. During the period of starvation, the body will enter a lowered metabolic state. When the patient begins eating a normal diet once again, the body's metabolism shoots up dramatically before stabilizing.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Hypermetabolic? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6828026_meanin...z1vV6JGmVJ

I went through all those stages, most people do too....good luck!

Thank you so much for this. Is this info in one of our stickies? I went thought them a while ago and don't remember seeing it before. If it's not, it definitely should be. Very good post.
  • onikonor
    Options
    I ditto the reset. I upped my calories to 1800 and wasn't losing. I read somewhere that the healthy cut may be accepted as the new TDEE when you come from VLCD. Can someone confirm this? I now decided to do the reset and will cut for weight loss once my body heals and wish I had done it right away before even trying the cut.

That's probably right that you might wanna increase by like 100 cal a day or something so the increase is manageable for the person.
  • onikonor
    Options
    per Scooby site:

BMR: 1470

1-3 hrs exercise/week: 2020
    3-5 hrs/week: 2280
    5-6 hrs/week: 2530
    7-21hrs/week: 2790

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results

Yeah, I got roughly these same numbers. Insanity month one is about 4 hours a week so I will go with 2,280. For month two it's more, so many I will recalculate and bump it up in month two.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I'm coming from Insanity, completed the first round and decided to do a hybird of Insanity and p90x. I also did Asylum for couple days and Scooby over-esitmated my numbers for both, Asylum and for the second month of Insanity (5-6 hours workout). I just did Pure Cardio (month 1) yesterday and burned 220 cal according to my Bodybug vs 372 according to my HRM (154 bpm average) My TDEE for the hybird is approx 2100 according to my Bodybugg. I definitely would recommend getting a device to get more accurate numbers.

Well that freaks me out. I can't afford a BFM and I'm assuming the BB is yet more expensive...yet I have a sneaky suspicion Scooby runs high no matter which activity level you fall into. I'm incredibly neurotic about this eating business and I wish to God I could figure out my ACTUAL TDEE so I could at least have some idea what I'm working with. Ugh. I hate being broke. :(
  • onikonor
    Options
    Well that freaks me out. I can't afford a BFM and I'm assuming the BB is yet more expensive...yet I have a sneaky suspicion Scooby runs high no matter which activity level you fall into. I'm incredibly neurotic about this eating business and I wish to God I could figure out my ACTUAL TDEE so I could at least have some idea what I'm working with. Ugh. I hate being broke. :(

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE#gid=0

Check out the last tab. I think it helps you figure out your TDEE based on your daily activities.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I have a fitbit, and for me Scooby is accurate IF I go up one level higher for my activity level than I actually do since I still burn a lot on my non-workout days. Apparently my sedentary jobs are not as sedentary as I thought. Don't freak out! Go with Scooby. Buy a fitbit or BFM when you can.
  • MeDoula
    Options

I have a fitbit, and for me Scooby is accurate IF I go up one level higher for my activity level than I actually do since I still burn a lot on my non-workout days. Apparently my sedentary jobs are not as sedentary as I thought. Don't freak out! Go with Scooby. Buy a fitbit or BFM when you can.

Sorry....I didn't mean to open up a can of worms for anyone. :blushing:
    I agree with the previous poster. Go with the best thing that you have now....
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I was given a Fitbit as a gift but half my workouts are lifting heavy and I'm constantly picking up/carrying around my 27 lb baby, unfortunately neither my Fitbit nor my Polar FT4 are useful for that kind of exercise. :(
  • asidebottom
    Options
    Daysflyby - Scooby is about right for me, I have a Fitbit and an HRM and I average out at 2200, Scooby gives me 2289 for moderately active which is right, I do about 4 hours of formal exercise a week plus walking. I would stick with their numbers for now.

Keep your chin up.
  • onikonor
    Options
    I'm having trouble consuming 2,200 calories a day :S I tried it yesterday and I feel so full this morning I had to force breakfast down and had to increase fat in food.

What is a healthy way to consume 2,200/day please help.