Adjustable dumbbells

Noor13
Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
I wanna splash out on some weights. Due to lack of space all I can get are adjustable ones. Any recommendations? I like the Bowflex ones. And shall I get the ones up to 50 or up to 90 lbs?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    I bought a set of 10-50 weights Wieder dumbbells.

Love them.

I wish I would have forked out the cash for a heavier set as I am pressing the 50's right now for chest exercises. I will need more for later.

However 50 still gets me 95% of what I need.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Depends on how much you are lifiting - I have a set of PowerBlocks - up to 50lbs each...Sufficient for now (and a long time still I think - I'm only using the 50's for deadlifts - Upper body still have a long way to go...But I'm optimistic - you can buy an addition up to 90lbs for later.....
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I wrote this on your wall, but I"ll post it here too....

oooh, I want the bowflex ones soooooooooo bad!! (hubby not so keen on letting me buy them though...argh). From the reviews I've seen, if you are new to weights, or a 'woman' (hahahahahah), the 50's will do fine....however, if you want something that will replace the rack at the gym...go for the 90lbs. It depends on your goals.....They are apparently close enough in size that moving to the 90's doesn't give you a bigger size, just more weight. You do have to make some adjustments to some of your lifting moves because they are longer than traditional weights (with both sets), but it's minor. One review I read really recommended investing in the stand as well....said he hurt his back a lot grabbing them off the floor....that was just the one review though.

Edited to add: I looked into powerblocks too - good thing about them is that they allow you to add on to the set later, but many reviews said the blocky design was uncomfortable to use. I guess it's what you get used to though.
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    I have the Bowflex ones and I love them. I originally tried to cheap out and bought a pair at Walmart. I learned my lesson when one day while doing overhead presses, one of the weights FELL OFF! Thankfully it did not hit me in the face! I learned that you get what you pay for. I have also heard that power blocks are really good as well.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    I got the Bowflex SelectTech on Craigslist (used once) for more than half off. LOVE them!
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    I have walmart. I have it for past half year without any problem. I want blowflex but too expensive :(