Food sensitivities causing gain?

Options
irunsf85
irunsf85 Posts: 74 Member
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of food allergies/sensitivities causing weight gain and bloat besides the typical glycogen storage and salt. Reason why I'm asking is because I think I might be sensitive to wheat. Over just a matter of a couple of days where I will consume wheat products, I notice I will be extremely bloated to the poit where I look 6 months pregnant and can weight 7-10 pounds heavier.

I was tested positive for grass allergies including wheat in the past but never seemed to have any reaction. I'm now thinking this extreme gain and bloat could be related? Any thoughts?

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    What happened with me (I have a wheat allergy) when I ate anything that had wheat in it I got so bloated and was in soooo much pain and got violently ill!!!!! Wheat is in soooooo many things now I have to be very careful when I go grocery shopping or go out to eat!!!

I would talk to your doctor about the symptoms you're having!!!!!
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It is interesting that you have posed this question, as I had requested help with a similar one. Back when I was trying to eat as few calories as possible, I became obsessed with stir fried onions, snow peas and peppers. The only thing additional that was added was a few spices and spray PAM. This seemed perfect to me because it was so tasty and I could eat copious amounts of it for very few calories. Unfortunately, the following happened. This may seem like TMI, but I would get horrid gas for DAYS..yes DAYS!. Additionally, the weeks that I would eat large amounts of veggies, my weight loss would stall. It sounds crazy that low calorie veggies disrupted my weight loss, but they did! I was weighing everything, so i know I was not exceeding my calories with these veggies lol. I posted a question about this issue to the message boards a while back and was told that food intolerances can definitely stall weight loss, I can still eat veggies but I have to limit them to small amounts at one time.
  • rabbittoes
    rabbittoes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OH BOY can I relate!!!!!! Yes you can experience weight gain, bloating, a general feeling of malaise. And just plain lousy...I have allergies to milk, wheat and soy. And yes if you take yourself off of wheat you will begin to feel better. I felt bloated and like my food wasn't digesting! I felt like it stayed in there for hours! You can go through testing, although an easier way is to cut it out of your diet. I noticed that it took about 2-3 weeks to start feeling relieved. Allergies will increase the inflammation in your body, thus creating the ability to hang onto every thing! Consequently, you don't loose the weight. There is significant documentation on this and many studies have been done.

Robin
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    The bloat could also be due to the yeast in the wheat product (breads)~
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Back when I first started the impulse for me to finally start trying to lose weight was the swelling in my feet and ankles which was effecting my ability to walk around.

My skin felt stretched and painful and my feet were like balloons it looked dreadful. I was going to take photos so I could do a before and after of my feet but four days into cutting out all gluten and lactose all the swelling had disappeared. I had loose skin on the top of my feet! (thank goodness my skin eventually sprang back. ) It was like I went to sleep with balloon feet and someone came in the middle of the night and replaced them with my old normal feet again.
    Also my strong cravings for junk food dissappeared.

My biggest concern with trying to diet and eat healthy was battling binging behaviour. I was convinced that I wouldn't succeed and felt a strong sense of hoplessness. I was so surprised to find an immediate change and no struggle with strong cravings and binging once I had cut out gluten and lactose.

Other improvements were no longer having an irritible bowel with running to the loo every day and sometimes four times or more a day.

Food sensitivities if you have them can really mess with your body and effect your bodies ability to absorb essential nutrients. I knew that I had sensitivities to lactose and gluten and totally ignored it, treating it as a minor inconvenience.
    Best thing I did for my health was when I removed the problem foods from my diet.

For the person cutting down on vegetable consumption heres an extract from good old wiki on gas producing foods. It may not be a sensitivity to vegetables but simply eating too many gas producing type foods. I mean really, cooked onions are a guarantee of large gas production.

Flatulence-producing foods are typically high in certain polysaccharides, (especially oligosaccharides such as inulin). Those foods include beans, lentils, dairy products, onions, garlic, scallions, leeks, turnips, rutabagas, radishes, sweet potatoes, potatoes, cashews, Jerusalem artichokes, oats, wheat, and yeast in breads. Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables that belong to the genus Brassica are commonly reputed to not only increase flatulence, but to increase the pungency of the flatus

If it seems like you have a very sensitive bowel enzyme supplements and building up healthy gut bacteria can help reduce problems.
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The same thing was happening to my mom, turns out she's lactose intolerant.