the FOOD

Options
mayday1969
mayday1969 Posts: 123 Member
Anyone want to share favorite recipes or tips from the diet plan?

I LOVE the barley soup with Shiitake mushrooms! It's a complete meal in one, meaning, you don't have to make a main dish and a side. I also love the Denver Omlette.

Replies

• aprrae
    aprrae Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I haven't been following her meal plan. Too many ingredients to make on a regular basis, but I have been using some of her recipes. I love the chicken salad with grapes. I even used the same greek yogurt dressing to make a salmon salad with some of my left over grilled salmon and it was great.

Have you tried the chick pea chocolate chip blondie bars that are posted here on myfitnesspal? I tried them and wow. So good!!!
  • mayday1969
    Options
    I am making the barley soup tonight for dinner. I love it and will get to have leftovers tomorrow. I also had her Multigrain pancakes with berry syrup for breakfast and a version of her Cheddar avocado burrito for lunch. I switch out the cheddar for black beans.

Last night I had her Pollock in Parchment and ginger yellow rice (both recipes are in her Master Your Metbolism cookbook. That cookbook has all of the recipes from her BR plan and more. Except the kickstart meals, those are not in her MYM book.

Anyone else make something good today?
  • mayday1969
    Options
    This morning I had her Steel cut oats with apples and pecans. Sooooo yummy! I make this one a lot!

Tonight I had roasted chicken with whole wheat pasta with spinach pesto. That may not be exactly what it's called, but it is in Jillian Michaels cookbook fro BR.

Also very yummy! It's nice because during the 90 days, I couldn't have it as a dinner, but now I'm eating it as a dinner. It makes 6 servings, so I will have some leftovers (which I LOVE)
  • LeslePG
    LeslePG Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the recipes where the calories are listed as kcal. So if a recipe says it has 280 kcal, is that just 280 calories? Confused.....
  • mayday1969
    Options
    I had never noticed that before. I was just putting them in as calories. I'm think it is what a unit of calorie is called. Like after fat it says "g".
  • mayday1969
    Options
    Te Spinach Frittata is AMAZING!

Also I love the barley with roasted cauliflower. It makes 8 servings, so I would eat it as a side to a few nights dinner. It is Delish!
  • mayday1969
    Options
    Last night I made the green bean salad with shrimp. It was so very good! It was very easy. Will definately be making this again.
  • mayday1969
    Options
    I made the poached eggs and sweet potato hash with chicken (I used turkey) sausage. I was really filling and sooo yummy!
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Quick question, I just ordered the program and I'm anxiously waiting for it....so, besides the exercises, you're suppossed to cook everyday and every meal?? OMG!! It doesn't have the option if you go out or something super fast to make?
    I really want to do it to the line, to really drop weight but at the same time is scary for me the idea of cooking every single meal!! I work full time, by the time I get home is already 8PM and I get up at 6:30am to get ready for work!! UGG!! I guess 90 days of late nights coming my way!!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the whole meal plan, I just tried to stick to 1200, of healthy foods, and that was effective for me. Maybe doing it exactly would be even better, but her meals are really specific, and I know my kids would never eat them. Don't be afraid to adapt - the world will not end if you don't use the exact spices and so on, IMO....
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Quick question, I just ordered the program and I'm anxiously waiting for it....so, besides the exercises, you're suppossed to cook everyday and every meal?? OMG!! It doesn't have the option if you go out or something super fast to make?
    I really want to do it to the line, to really drop weight but at the same time is scary for me the idea of cooking every single meal!! I work full time, by the time I get home is already 8PM and I get up at 6:30am to get ready for work!! UGG!! I guess 90 days of late nights coming my way!!

Since a lot of the recipes in the meal plan serve more than one serving (usually 4, sometimes 6 or 8) , if you are doing it by yourself you can make the full recipe on the weekends and either freeze portions to have at later times or just eat the same thing a few days in a row if you don't mind. For example, I have been sticking to the chicken salad sandwich and Mediterranean tuna salad wrap as options for lunch since they are pretty quick to make and you can make a big batch on Sunday and just take it for the week. I try to leave the more time consuming cooking to the weekend. For breakfasts I will eat something quick, like the yogurt with fruit and quinoa crunch. The quinoa crunch recipe makes a lot and I enjoy it even though I was like--quinoa for breakfast?--but its got honey in it so it gives a little sweet kick and texture to your greek yogurt, which is pretty sour. There's also 3 muffin recipes which make 12 muffins each so that is 12 breakfasts per recipe! I'm currently working my way through a batch of the banana blueberry. You can also make those on the weekends when you have more time and just grab and go in the morning during the week. Ziploc bags and tupperware are your friends!
    This is just how I've been going about it, not following her exact schedule each day but mainly sticking to her recipes with lots of leftovers so I don't have to cook so often. I'm a person who doesn't mind eating the same thing for a few days in a row though, mainly because it's easier to heat leftovers and more cost effective than having a completely different meal for each meal each day. You could always pick a few options and cook them when you have time and then rotate them throughout the week as well, just so you're not eating the exact same thing everyday. I lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks doing it this way but then had a little setback over the weekend with TOM and going to Las Vegas and gained 5lbs! :grumble: But I'm back on track. Anyway, this has gotten long winded but I hope I have helped in some way. Good luck with the plan!
  • mayday1969
    Options
    Not many people followed her diet and meal plan to the letter like I did. I just really wanted to try it and give it my all. Everyone has had great results on the meal plan or not. For me, I learned how to cook a lot of things. There were days where is was hard and frusterating, but I learned how to make it work for me. I would say adapting her key suggestions, like which food to eat and not eat and trying to not eat processed foods. You really have to make eating work for YOU and your family. This time it worked for me. And I still pretty much eat from her book. I have added the recipes from Master Your Metabolism to the original recipes.

Edited to say that I agree with what Tubway said. Lotsof leftovers.
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not many people followed her diet and meal plan to the letter like I did. I just really wanted to try it and give it my all. Everyone has had great results on the meal plan or not. For me, I learned how to cook a lot of things. There were days where is was hard and frusterating, but I learned how to make it work for me. I would say adapting her key suggestions, like which food to eat and not eat and trying to not eat processed foods. You really have to make eating work for YOU and your family. This time it worked for me. And I still pretty much eat from her book. I have added the recipes from Master Your Metabolism to the original recipes.

Edited to say that I agree with what Tubway said. Lotsof leftovers.

Hello mayday1969-- I was thinking of getting the Master Your Metabolism cookbook to supplement the BR meal plan even while I'm still doing the first 90 days. Are there a lot more recipes provided than what is in the BR meal plan? I don't want to buy a whole book if it has the recipes I already have plus only a couple more. I guess what I'm saying is, is there enough extra material to make it worth buying if you already have the BR meal booklet? Plus, do you think you would have gotten similar results by adding these recipes in to begin with rather than sticking solely with the ones in the 90 day meal plan?
  • mayday1969
    Options
    Hello mayday1969-- I was thinking of getting the Master Your Metabolism cookbook to supplement the BR meal plan even while I'm still doing the first 90 days. Are there a lot more recipes provided than what is in the BR meal plan? I don't want to buy a whole book if it has the recipes I already have plus only a couple more. I guess what I'm saying is, is there enough extra material to make it worth buying if you already have the BR meal booklet? Plus, do you think you would have gotten similar results by adding these recipes in to begin with rather than sticking solely with the ones in the 90 day meal plan?

There are a lot of recipes in there. All of the BR ones are in there except from the jumpstart week. I was bummed though because there are no more breakfast recipes than there are in her BR plan, but then it's broken into the following categories:
    soups-10 recipes
    salads and sandwiches 12 recipes
    poultry and meat dishes 15 recipes
    fish and shell fish main dishes 18 recipes
    vegetarian main dishes 13 recipes
    side dishes 13 recipes
    snacks 12 recipes
    desserts 12 recipes
    basics 10 recipes

It also has a section at the fron of the book thast sums up her Master Your Metabolism book and tips throughout.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on the Master Your Metabolism cookbook. I'm not very creative when it comes to cooking so having recipes really helps me.

Something that I make that isn't in the JMBR plan is vegan black bean soup. Just google it - the one I make is basically low sodium black beans, diced tomatoes & their juice, vegetable broth, green chiles and herbs of your choice. It's really easy and filling. You can spice it up if you like it hot too.
  • mayday1969
    Options
    That vegan black bean soup sounds good!

I also need recipes. I do not know how to cook and need detailed instructions on it. That has been nice about these recipes, I have learned a lot about cooking.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I checked the Food book in JMBR and the black been and tomato soup is pretty similar to what i've been making :)
  • okwldflwr
    okwldflwr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the toasted tomato sandwich with the slaw...my husband LOVED it!
  • mayday1969
    Options
    I really enjoyed the toasted tomato sandwich with the slaw...my husband LOVED it!

I have not tried that one. I thik I will have to try it soon!
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm on my 2nd day!! I'm so proud of myself! I've followed the kickstart meal plan and so far so good. Thanks for the tips on cooking the entire recipe and freeze the portions, I did that and have enough lunch and dinner for another 3 days!
    I cooked for dinner the Turkey burgers with avocado salad last night, and even though the burger is "broled" which didn't sound too good, came out delicious!!!! Even my husband ate it!

If you're looking for fun & tasty low calorie recipes go to www.skinnytaste.com it contains a lot of easy to make recipes very healthy and low in calories.

I'll keep on trying JM recipe books, for now the BR is not bad and totally duable.
    Thanks!!