I don't want to be ripped like a man...

Options
catpow2
catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
Ok--I'm a believer. I read the book and I've been doing the program (mod because I work out at home) since April. I'm seeing some good definition. I am by no means ripped, but I'm really starting to see muscle definition in my arms. Is this a good thing? Yes, of course. This is why I lift and what I'm looking for in terms of results. And it's working; I am getting leaner. Given how much fat we (women) carry on our lower body, this isn't going to be a problem from the waist down. BUT I don't want to look like a guy--meaning, I don't want the muscle definition of a man in my upper body.

Some might say 'this won't happen; you don't have enough testosterone.' If that's true, great! I just need to know! And it's ok to keep lifting heavy, yes? Because I've got too much estrogen flowing through my veins so I shouldn't worry, right? Just for reference--I think Jaime Easton's definition is too much. I'm not saying she doesn't look good--she looks great. But I personally don't want that much definition. Again, I'm not there yet, but I don't wake up one day and go 'ok, crap--too much' and I have no boobs. I'm eating at a slight deficit and following 40/30/30 to decrease body fat--not trying to build. I follow NRFWL diet recommendations but I don't follow their eating plan.

Thanks in advance!! And feel free to set me straight about this.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you would need to eat a LOT more than what's in the book to build enough muscle for it to be "too much" or "too manly". I haven't seen any woman get bulky from lifting heavy.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not bulking though--I understand completely that women don't/can't/won't bulk. I've been lifting for 3 months and I have most certainly not gotten bigger, and I knew I wouldn't for all the reasons discussed in book and diet. What I didn't really think about though is: what happens when my arms are as lean as I want them to be? But my lower body is not? Do I scale back on the upper body? Do I not try to increase weight on the upper body? I'd like to keep increasing strength but I think I'll continue getting leaner if I do that. Should eat more...? But I certainly don't want to gain. I like my progress--bottom line: I don't want to over do it. And I don't think that's possible on the lower body, but on the upper body, probably. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me I'm nuts for being worried about getting too lean! :smile:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    When your arms are as large as you want to be, stop increasing weights. Just maintain the musculature. Or continue, and stop cutting. Just... adjust as needed.

and yes! nuts! hahah. I'd love to look like Jamie Eason from a 3x a week routine. I bet that poor ***** eats chicken breasts and brown rice every day, and I know her routine is a 6 day split with 1 million isolations.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    To look like a fitness model takes a lot of work and dedication. All the pics you see are of them after a huge cut, with very low body fat %, but in real life, when they are not taking pics , they look like normal ladies. I don't htink you should worry about getting ripped like Jamie from doing New Rules.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    To look like a fitness model takes a lot of work and dedication. All the pics you see are of them after a huge cut, with very low body fat %, but in real life, when they are not taking pics , they look like normal ladies. I don't htink you should worry about getting ripped like Jamie from doing New Rules.

^^^ this. Most the pictures of Jamie that are out there are of her after she's done a cut and has very low BF%. I don't see how you could do that with New Rules.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The trick to not having the definition of Jamie Eason has nothing to do with what you do in the weight room and everything to do with what you do in the kitchen. You don't want to have that upper body definition? Carry more fat.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Not bulking though--I understand completely that women don't/can't/won't bulk. I've been lifting for 3 months and I have most certainly not gotten bigger, and I knew I wouldn't for all the reasons discussed in book and diet. What I didn't really think about though is: what happens when my arms are as lean as I want them to be? But my lower body is not? Do I scale back on the upper body? Do I not try to increase weight on the upper body? I'd like to keep increasing strength but I think I'll continue getting leaner if I do that. Should eat more...? But I certainly don't want to gain. I like my progress--bottom line: I don't want to over do it. And I don't think that's possible on the lower body, but on the upper body, probably. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me I'm nuts for being worried about getting too lean! :smile:

Size =/= strength and appearance =/= size it's more of an indicator of bf%. Here's the thing, you're going to lose fat in your problem areas last. If you reach your upper body definition goal before your lower body definition goal you're going to have to make a decision on which one is more important.