Reading this and want to try it, but scared to go there

Options
glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
Hi.

I'm fat. I'm HUGE.

I've read through this, got my numbers and was ready to start, but I'm afraid.

I'm afraid that this works for moderately big people who need to lose that last 30 pounds or so, but not for people like me.

So, from using several of the calculators and taking the lowest and highest of them:

My BMR is between 2100 and 2300

My TDEE is between 3560 and 3695

So, as I understand it, I should eat 2800 calories a day? Even on the days I don't exercise?

MFP has me at 1890 ish when I don't exercise and about 800 more when I do.

I lost 30 pounds by eating a VLCD and have not regained, but I can't stay at under 1000 per day for any length of time without going stark raving bonkers.

I'd like to believe this can work. I really would.

Can someone who has been really large at some point please tell me either that it really can work, even for someone quite large (currently 317 lbs) or tell me to look elsewhere for an answer.

My workouts are currently 40 minutes of exercise bike at about 14 mph (9.5 miles in 40 min) plus a weight circuit at the gym.

Anyway, this group seems so supportive and helpful, I figured I would ask if it really can work for me.

Replies

• payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Do it. The science behind it is sound. You won't regret it!

The biggest problem with eating too few calories (aside from going stark raving bonkers due to hunger pangs) is that you're training your body to have a slower metabolism so that it can exist on a lower calorie intake. That will surely bite you in the *kitten* later. My friend and I have been eating above our BMR for the past two weeks, and have had great results already.

Feel free to send me a friend request, and I'll tell her to check out this thread and add any comment that she thinks might be helpful!

Best of luck!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Welcome to the group!

I started large myself (310) although I am male an my numbers were a bit higher. I have been consistently at 2800 - 3100 calories a day, working out 5-6 days a week. I eat those calories regardless if I am exercising or not.

The main thing to know is:

1. First read the stickies about what to expect. This is super important. All the stickies have great info to let you know the initial uphill battle you will face.

2. Consistency. This requires dedication as its a full lifestyle change. Its not a binge/starve cycle or anything. its about getting as close to the same amount of calories per day to train your bodies metabolism so it does not think its starving anymore.

3. Lean on us for support. It can get rough at times as this is not a fad or crash diet so weight wont come off a 5lbs a week. Most of us shoot for .5 - 1lb a week.

4. Enjoy life, and not having to crazy restrict your diet (calorie wise, we still believe in healthy eating). Life happens, and life does not have to hamper your weightloss.

5. Make sure you are getting correct calorie numbers when entering in your food. A lot of us have digital scales to weigh out our food so we can be as consistent as possible.

6. Be realistic with your exercise calculations (especially when entering into Scooby).

Mike
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I KNOW that fear!! At 218 lbs (ouch! :) ) I have upped to 1700 cals and have not gained and been here 3 weeks. Yesterday I bit the proverbial bullet and started 2000 cals. I am shaking, Girl, I've lost 26 lbs since Christmas Day but had stopped cold for weeks. I'm a 1200 cal a day starver...have been all my life, or just quit eating one time, lost bunches of weight but then when I
    started eating again....yep, it all plus some came back. I have screwed up my metabolism I feared this even more, maybe. But, at 62, health probs, what have I got to lose????? Pun there, yes, but we can try together. I'd be glad to FR you, Girl....wanna run this race??? :) Take care.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I KNOW that fear!! At 218 lbs (ouch! :) ) I have upped to 1700 cals and have not gained and been here 3 weeks. Yesterday I bit the proverbial bullet and started 2000 cals. I am shaking, Girl, I've lost 26 lbs since Christmas Day but had stopped cold for weeks. I'm a 1200 cal a day starver...have been all my life, or just quit eating one time, lost bunches of weight but then when I
    started eating again....yep, it all plus some came back. I have screwed up my metabolism I feared this even more, maybe. But, at 62, health probs, what have I got to lose????? Pun there, yes, but we can try together. I'd be glad to FR you, Girl....wanna run this race??? :) Take care.

I've always bounced between eating very little and eating whatever I please (usually crap).

I'm working toward a more healthy diet overall, but not always successful in that.

Since January 2nd, I've managed to lose 30 pounds and keep it off, but I've only lost a pound or two since April.

I have managed to make exercise a habit, so I figure that's a step in the right direction, right?

I always tell people I've dieted my way up to this size...but until I started reading this stuff, I never really believed it. Maybe this will be my solution.

Yeah, maybe we'll cry together, but maybe we'll cheer together, eh?
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    A friend gave me these links....maybe you would like to check them out, too.

caloriecoach.com..........which is a place to help figure out lots of things but I started checking it for the "calories needed" part. She gave me the whole address, but I need to find it again. Anyway, there it suggested starting at 2000 cal and for 2 weeks see if ya gain or lose.....if you lose, up it 500 cal for another 2 weeks, so forth. That's why I went the 2000 yesterday. But all the other calculators were different, anyway, so I'm trying this. Not one of the calculators I checked was even close to the other ones.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/17/no-gym-no-problem-bodyweight-exercises-and-the-nerd-fitness-challenge/

Kris