Sugar!

Options
catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
Hi Everyone.

Sorry if this topic has been done already, but I went through several pages and couldn't find it.

Today was my first day of my metabolism reset. It went really well, but took quite a bit of planning to get in the extra 500 calories! I managed to stay close within my macros except for going 37g of sugar over! The majority of my sugar comes from milk, such as in my tea, porridge and protein shake and I'm

How disastrous is going over on sugar when I'm ok on carbs, fat and protein? Should I be trying to cut down on milk?

Also, if anyone wants to add me that would be great, would love some extra support from people eating higher calories :drinker:

Thanks!!

Replies

• erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    have you consider other options like soy milk, almond milk, low fat milk? I usually go over my sugar too. I switched for light vanilla soy milk and is 8 g of sugar.
  • gdwarkaj
    gdwarkaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love the almond milk! There's an unsweetened version by Blue Diamond that I love to use.
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk. but I still go over sugar due to fruits, veggies etc.. Someone mentinoed it is fine.. so I'm sticking to it lol
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will have a look at some alternatives next time I go shopping! In the meantime I will try and substitute some of my cups of tea for green tea and look at other ways I can reduce my milk intake. I didn't eat much fruit and veg today either, so I expect that would push my sugar intake up even higher, but I look at that as OK if it's from fruit and veg.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Forget tracking sugar...MFP is way off since it tracks ALL sugars. Your better off tracking sodium!
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    The sugar recommendations are for ADDED sugars ~30 grams daily for women.

So you do not include sugar in milk, fruits, or any other food where it is naturally occurring. Hard to track with MFP since it groups all sugars together.

I also would suggest to track sodium ~2500 or lower or fiber ~30 grams per day
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The sugar recommendations are for ADDED sugars ~30 grams daily for women.

So you do not include sugar in milk, fruits, or any other food where it is naturally occurring. Hard to track with MFP since it groups all sugars together.

I also would suggest to track sodium ~2500 or lower or fiber ~30 grams per day

THIS!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sugar that is in natural foods such as fruit, vegetables and diary.
    In fact you will be missing out on important nutrients that are also in these foods if you try cutting them out just to cut the sugar number.
    Ignore sugar numbers and just don't do things like add sugar to coffee and limit things like cakes etc.
  • lisakammwang
    lisakammwang Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

Sorry if this topic has been done already, but I went through several pages and couldn't find it.

Today was my first day of my metabolism reset. It went really well, but took quite a bit of planning to get in the extra 500 calories! I managed to stay close within my macros except for going 37g of sugar over! The majority of my sugar comes from milk, such as in my tea, porridge and protein shake and I'm

How disastrous is going over on sugar when I'm ok on carbs, fat and protein? Should I be trying to cut down on milk?

Also, if anyone wants to add me that would be great, would love some extra support from people eating higher calories :drinker:

Thanks!!

Try unsweet almond milk...it helps me keep my carbs in check while still getting the calcium.