menopause and eating more?

Options
mrs_dwr
mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
I was talking to my mom about em2wl over vacation and she seemed really interested but doubtful about whether it works if you are going through menopause. She's also on medcation for rheumatoid arthritis and so that causes weight gain as well. Does anyone have personal experience with either of these scenarios? Or have any links for research regarding them?

Replies

• mrs_dwr
    Options
    *bump*

Anybody?
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no experience with this but if she is on some sort of steroid I believe it can make weight loss harder. My thought is - what would it hurt to try?
  • lisakammwang
    lisakammwang Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Post-menopausal here and working for me. I limit my carb intake to about 100 net carbs per day, which is not hard if you stick to whole foods.
  • mrs_dwr
    Options
    Yes, she's on steroids for the RA. I think that's why she's doubtful about em2wl; since she's gained weight and it's hard to get off due to the medication, she figures eating MORE will make it that much more difficult.

Limiting carb intake is a good suggestion. I know my parents eat a lot of carbs (they love pasta, rice, and fruit) so limiting them might give her a good starting boost.

Anyone else out there with experience? Especially with RA?:flowerforyou:
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, she's on steroids for the RA. I think that's why she's doubtful about em2wl; since she's gained weight and it's hard to get off due to the medication, she figures eating MORE will make it that much more difficult.

Limiting carb intake is a good suggestion. I know my parents eat a lot of carbs (they love pasta, rice, and fruit) so limiting them might give her a good starting boost.

Anyone else out there with experience? Especially with RA?:flowerforyou:

Jess~ I have MS which is an autoimmune disease like RA~ my body is attacking the central nervous system and your Mom's is attacking her joints.

I also went through menopause early and was completely "done" at age 42~ I am age 51 now.

I am the Reset right now, so I can't give you any "results" but I can offer this: IN MY OPINION, when you have an autoimmune disease, the body is in a constant state of "fighting". That being said, if you add poor diet choices like VLCD, you are causing the body to "fight" even more~ this time due to malnourishment~ which in turn, enhances and adds to what the autoimmune disease is already doing to your body.

For dessert, let's add a nice dose of Steroids which is VERY stressing to the body and a scoop of menopause and you get one nasty little life experience!

I have learned (the hard way) that I have little to NO control over my MS or menopause experiences, but what I CAN control is how and what I eat. (although I do take hormone replacement therapy)

Taking away ONE of the things that my body is dealing with~ malnourishment or "poor nourishment"~ can only contribute to a BETTER experience all the way around.

I believe there is an "RA Society" or something like that for your Mom to turn to for support and information with her particular situation.

Good Luck to you and your Mom with this~ it's a tough position to be in~ I know:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am in the menopause group, I can honestly say that while the scale is moving at a snails pace downward I am feeling so much better in all other areas. I have so much more energy now. I sleep so much better and believe me that is something most women in menopause and pre menopause will complain bitterly about, lack of sleep! I have also noticed that my hot flashes have decreased. Have no idea why and am just happy they have! My brain feels clearer than it has in the past. Probably because I sleep better.

I have lost inches overall, I still have lots of weight to lose. I am very happy with my progress. i know it will be slow. I am lifting weights and strength training as my main form of exercise. I despise cardio. I don't know if your mom could do some strength training, if she could with a trainer it would be very beneficial both for strength and for her mental health. it makes me feel strong physically but I also get such a mental high out of the idea that I can lift these weights, that my body can do this.

I think your mom and dad could benefit from eating healthy, the right kind of carbs. Pasta, rice and grains can be healthy if they whole and as natural as possible. It is when they have been over processed and had all kinds of salt and other things added that they become unhealthy. Fruits and vegetables are carbs but are healthy as well. I hope some of my ideas can help your mom.