Deadlifts burn a lot of cals?

Options
Hey so I started dead lifts three weeks ago and I seem to have lost fat and weight (about 2 lbs) - my belly has shrunk noticeably despite not having the best diet (drank a lot over same period). I'm surprised cuz I didn't lose any strength (bench rep weight jumped 10lbs over same period to 205) but look a lot better (can see outline of abs again). Could DL really make that much of a difference?!

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts work the whole body so while I don't know exactly how much calories they burn, it's a great exercise. Hey if it works, keep at it. You could probably count on 1 hand how many do deads in any particular gym.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    strength training in general doesn't burn a lot of cals compared to cardio but obviously there are other benefits. I wouldn't attribute a 2lb loss in 3 weeks to deadlifts alone. That amount of scale weight could be from anything like reduced carbs, reduced sodium, increased potassium, food in the gut etc.

But yeah, deadlifts rock so keep doing em :smile:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts take so much out of you. Don't be surprised if you continue to get shredded while following a regimen heavy on deadlifts. They also increase testosterone and GH

http://www.thedeadlift.com/deadlifting/
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Dead lifting is the best, yet my wife and I are the only people we have ever seen in our gym doing them.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts, they make me feel strong. I have rarely seen anyone doing them myself.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im 41 and ive worked out for periods of times over the years but i never did deads or squats. this time around im doing them and my progress is much better with them this time.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not sure. I do them for the pen0r growth.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of Deadlifts, i'd rather curl.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    OP sure starts some bizarre threads
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yup, its hard to get your heart rate up curling dumbbells, and doing triceps kickbacks....but a good deadlift, or squat variation will ramp up your oxygen intake. I still doubt deadlifts alone would cause a two lbs weight loss....But they certainly are good to do.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    With proper form, deadliest are one of the best exercises. I wouldn't recommend doing crazy sets of deadlifts unless you can handle it. 2-3 sets is usually fine to start your back workout.
  • christyjoyjr
    Options
    Deadlifts and standing barbell shoulder presses kill my abs. Love deadlifts.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and standing barbell shoulder presses kill my abs. Love deadlifts.

You should to power cleans to an overhead press. THAT will get your calories burning!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I noticed my abs getting larger when I started doing deadlifts giving the appearance that my belly fat shrank. I sweat more doing squats than deads, because I don't do high volume deads.
  • mathewvarughese
    Options
    starting doing dead lifts three months ago. noticed all kinds of changes. my squat increased dramatically. i have more overall strength... and i gained about 5 lbs of muscle. i was always afraid of doing deads, for fear of injury... but i started with really light weight and focused on form. i'm now able to dead lift about 255... which is not bad for a pip squeak like me... i'm so glad i decided to do them. its taking my strength to a new level
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of Deadlifts, i'd rather curl.

tumblr_m7eyhbMN2D1qf1avqo1_500.jpg
  • jorge_ta83
    jorge_ta83 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ROFL, @iWaffle, that picture actually made me laugh
  • RichardHashimashi
    RichardHashimashi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Over a period of 10 months, I lost close to 100 pounds...and 18 inches from my waist...I credit the deadlift with a good part of this transformation....also squats and pushups...and primarily having real food and losing the processed foods from my daily menu....Every time though that I did deadlifts, I felt stronger and like I was losing body fat and building muscle...so for anyone who is willing to learn deadlifting with the best form possible, I think it is a great way to expedite your fat loss. There are so many great benefits to deadlifting, once you start, I think you will see them yourself as well! A great place to explore more tips for better mental and physical strength is http://hashimashi.com
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Deads are my favorite lift. Been doing them a long time. Not only are they good for the whole body their good for the ego too :wink: So empowering!
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I feel like I'm riding a unicorn with Ron Burgundy and Veronica Corningstone when I deadlift.