Newbie in shock!!

emrys1976
emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
Hi all!
I joined this group a few weeks back because of the great reviews I've heard from others who are doing this. I finally had a moment today to really look at it and run my TDEE and BMR on that Scooby calculator. HOLY CRAP that's A LOT of calories!!! Here's what I came up with:

Weight - ~250
Height - 5' 4.5"
Activity level - moderate (I do NROL4W 2-3 days per week + treadmill on hill intervals for 30 minutes 2-3 times per week, plus usually one day of several hours of easy hikes or bike rides, not to mention that I'm the cleaner, shopper, and pick-up-the-heavy-things-and-move-them person in the household)
BMR - 1871
TDEE - 2900
15% cut - 2465

I'm really struggling with these numbers and am questioning my choice of activity level. Even when I change it down to the "light exercise" option I'm still supposed to eat 2200+ calories per day. I've read a lot of the threads about the basics of this approach and I think it all makes a lot of sense. I think I'm needing some validation that I could actually lose weight eating that number of calories. Has anyone else started here with these numbers??

Replies

• emrys1976
    Also - a BMI of 1891?? I think I've eaten that much in a day MAYBE once or twice per month (on average) for the past six months. Have I really been starving my body THAT badly??? My poor body :frown:
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    sounds right to me. try and enjoy it, it will be a piece of cake in no time

yum...cake
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Also - a BMI of 1891?? I think I've eaten that much in a day MAYBE once or twice per month (on average) for the past six months. Have I really been starving my body THAT badly??? My poor body :frown:

It is also possible to fall right on the borderline of the two activity levels. You could always try using the average of the two.

I can totally relate, though. I've been short changing my body for nearly all of my adult life by trying not to overindulge, and had no idea. Those numbers will go down as you lose, though. I've been using a BodyMedia FIT Link for about a week, and while my average is lower than yours, I was also surprised by how high it really was. I range from around 2200 on my really low energy days, to over 3000 on busier days. MFP wanted me eating 1300. I wasn't losing as much as I should've been, which is why I started doing some research when I suspected I had slowed my metabolism over the years.
  • emrys1976

It is also possible to fall right on the borderline of the two activity levels. You could always try using the average of the two.

I can totally relate, though. I've been short changing my body for nearly all of my adult life by trying not to overindulge, and had no idea. Those numbers will go down as you lose, though. I've been using a BodyMedia FIT Link for about a week, and while my average is lower than yours, I was also surprised by how high it really was. I range from around 2200 on my really low energy days, to over 3000 on busier days. MFP wanted me eating 1300. I wasn't losing as much as I should've been, which is why I started doing some research when I suspected I had slowed my metabolism over the years.

I hadn't thought about taking the average of the two - thanks for that idea! And thanks for the reassurance!

@bsinno - lol! i have some cake in the kitchen I've been avoiding all day. Perhaps I'll have a small slice tonight in your honor :D