C25K, Asthma & You!

Options
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for starting this group - it's so good to have some inspiration!

I've started C25K this week, and just wanted to get out there and ask other asthma sufferers how they're going with the program...

Recently I'd been having alot of problems with getting sick frequently, constant head aches, tiredness etc. I went to a doctor who looked at me for 2 mins and told me all my problems would be solved by losing weight, next patient please. So off I went to get in shape, thinking all my breathing troubles were just caused by my lack of fitness and extra baggage (I'd been on asthma meds as a kid but it was never serious).

As you know, running is bloody hard when you can't breathe properly, so at the gym I avoided the treadmill like the plague, stuck to the easier elliptical trainers etc and saw no progress.

My partner eventually had enough of me being sick and grumpy and made me go back and see a different GP, who immediately put me on the twice a day steriod puffer and doubled my ventolin intake.. And what do you know? In the month I've been on it I've dropped about 4kg, am not tired/headachey all the time and can climb a flight of stairs without having a melt down! Huzzah!

I'm absolutely loving the C25K intervals - giving my lungs that time to recover. Keeping me on a treadmill for 30 mins straight is nothing sort of miraculous!

I do have some concern about how I'll go as the running segments get longer (although I'm definately prepared to repeat weeks if I need to)... So, fellow asthmatics, please share your experiences! :smile:

Replies

• jsunshine220
    jsunshine220 Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi writinwater,

I do not have asthma so I am not able to relate to that. My problem is acid reflux and my doctor indicated that losing weight would help alleviate some of my problems. Right now, it is really wreaking havoc, so I feel like it's worth a try.

However, I do want to congratulate you on your accomplishments, especially since you have always avoided the treadmill. I have had concerns about progressing into the weeks that have longer jogging intervals as well. I am just going to take it slow and do the best I can. I finally got my breathing down so that I don't feel winded from jogging so I think that was the first step. Now, if I can just get my legs to stop feeling like they are going to fall off, I might be okay!!! I'm sure I will be repeating weeks right along with you.

We can do this!!

J
  • writinwater
    Options
    Thanks, J! It's so nice to have people encourage you who actually know what you're on about! :D

I know it's a massive factor, and that they must be so over seeing overweight people with medical problems, but I find it really hard to find a doctor who has the time of day to talk to you about what else is going on in your body, other than your weight! And when that is the case, I dont want to just hear ' you need to lose some weight' - I want some actual advice and assistance in doing it!

And holy cow the legs thing is so true!! Both during and after when all your muscles are like 'what are you doing to me?!'. But it's the most satisfying feeling :)
  • jsunshine220
    jsunshine220 Posts: 109
    Options
    I definitely understand. My doctor hasn't really given me assistance in what to do to lose weight but, nonetheless, I love my doctor. I really feel like I have one that truly cares about me and my health. To me, that's priceless.

Hopefully, we can keep each other motivated and accomplish what the doctor's want us to do. Once we do that, then they can focus on telling us how healthy we are!! :wink:

You are right. Once it's done, it really is satisfying, especially when you have done something you didn't think you could do. So keep moving!

One day at a time!!

J
  • cnphel0
    cnphel0 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what it's like to have asthma problems and trying to jog. I didn't know that I have exercise-induced asthma so when I started running I couldn't figure out why I couldn't catch my breath. I had be jogging for several months (mostly walking with short jogging distances) but with little luck on jogging further. I finally went in to a doctor and they tried to write it off at first as being a weight problem. But when I explained that I had been jogging for several months and was having trouble breathing. They decided to put me on something and it really helped.
    Unfortunately, it still is taking me longer to actually jog a longer distance. I've just recently been able to jog a couple of the hills on my route. Now I'm jogging a couple of half mile stretches along with a mile in the middle of my run. It's taken me close to a year to be able to go from walking most of the route and only jogging 1/10 mile stretches to being able to jog a mile and other long intervals.
    My ultimate goal is to jog the complete route which is 3.25 miles by the end of September. Then I'm going to work on my speed. But I'm never giving up!
    Good Luck on your jogging adventures. Let me know how it goes for you.