Caribbean Food Suggestion

Options
markjenny09
markjenny09 Posts: 20 Member
I've noticed something while using this calorie counter. In the Caribbean we use lots of fresh fruits, roots, veggies, beans, lentils, etc. Our meals tend to be heavy in Carbs but low in calorie. You can either replace the carbs or workout harder. I think moderation is key here and exercise. So I suggests those huge plates of rice and beans be cut in half or in thirds. Adopting a killer workout routine (like back home we are always on the move). We can get in and maintain shape. What do you think guys?

Replies

• Nica_1
    Nica_1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    so true about our foods. I now consume 1 spoon of rice with plenty veggies...................i workout morning and evening. i dont drink juice neither alcohol and i drink lots of water!!
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys work out alot! I've really been struggling with my weight loss even though I've made some improvements in my eating and have been working out (not as good on the eating or as hard/often on the workouts as i need to be but definitely doing alot better)...but the scale either hasn;t budged...or keeps budging in the wrong direction! I have regained the four pounds I lost according to my last weigh in a few weeks ago :sad: It's been quite frustrating so I have decided that I'm taking a break from the scale and won't go on again until (maybe) the end of July.

I'm looking to start Insanity soon (SCARED!!!!). I really hope I get started and stick with it...I think it's the kind of boost my body needs to start shaking off those pounds!

Re the food....yeh we do eat differently in the Caribbean and it makes it difficult (at least for me) to log food here sometimes because the database doesn't really have our local food (like dasheen, cassava and other ground provisions) so I find myself looking for some kinda close substitute and it's pretty time-consuming sometimes. But I think the general guideline remains the same...try to keep the carbs down and eat lots of veggies and some protein.

It'll be great to get some nice healthy Caribbean recipes from you guys...any favourites you'd like to share?
  • markjenny09
    Options
    Are you sure that you can handle the insanity workout?... I used to struggle like you because I'd get into all these workouts that I did not enjoy. Find something that's do-able. Something you know you can stick with. I do zumba once a week, aerobics twice a week, and Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred every day. Find something that fits your schedule, and you will enjoy. It's not about fast results it's about being able to do it......... Pile up on the veggie recipes. In Haiti we have a recipe called legume. You can do this meatless, if you'd like or you can use chicken or turkey wings/neckbones, beef stew meat, shrimp, crab, lobster, or all of the above. you clean and season up your meat the night before. We make are own marinade called epice its scallions, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, red&green bell pepper, maggi-chicken bouillon cubes, lime juice, vegetable oil, and salt. You blend it all together and add more maggi or salt as needed. Let your meat soak in that over night. Put a little veggie oil in a big pot, once its hot put a little scotch bonnet pepper and tomato paste, cook it for just a minute spread it around than add your meat in (skip this step if using shrimp.) Once your meat picks up some color add your veggies . (3 chayote and/or 1 large green papaya,1 large head of cabbage, 1 large eggplant, 3-4 large carrots, and a yellow onion.) All veggies seeds removed, peeled, washed, and cut in half, carrots and onions sliced.
    Steam the veggies on low heat on top of the meat so that it can absorb flavor. Do not add any liquid, the meat and vegetables carries plenty of its own. Steam for about one hour or until VERY SOFT. take out the veggies and place into a large bowl. Mash them up real good. DON'T MAKE INTO A SOUP THOUGH. put the veggies back into the pot and fold into the meat and liquid. add your shrimp now if you are using it, tomato, and onions if you'd like more. Add some salt and maggi as needed. serve over white rice and black beans,or white beans, or red beans.
  • markjenny09
    Options
    Wow that is awesome Nica. Sounds like you've got a good routine going.
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that you can handle the insanity workout?... I used to struggle like you because I'd get into all these workouts that I did not enjoy. Find something that's do-able. Something you know you can stick with. I do zumba once a week, aerobics twice a week, and Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred every day. Find something that fits your schedule, and you will enjoy. It's not about fast results it's about being able to do it......... Pile up on the veggie recipes. In Haiti we have a recipe called legume. You can do this meatless, if you'd like or you can use chicken or turkey wings/neckbones, beef stew meat, shrimp, crab, lobster, or all of the above. you clean and season up your meat the night before. We make are own marinade called epice its scallions, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, red&green bell pepper, maggi-chicken bouillon cubes, lime juice, vegetable oil, and salt. You blend it all together and add more maggi or salt as needed. Let your meat soak in that over night. Put a little veggie oil in a big pot, once its hot put a little scotch bonnet pepper and tomato paste, cook it for just a minute spread it around than add your meat in (skip this step if using shrimp.) Once your meat picks up some color add your veggies . (3 chayote and/or 1 large green papaya,1 large head of cabbage, 1 large eggplant, 3-4 large carrots, and a yellow onion.) All veggies seeds removed, peeled, washed, and cut in half, carrots and onions sliced.
    Steam the veggies on low heat on top of the meat so that it can absorb flavor. Do not add any liquid, the meat and vegetables carries plenty of its own. Steam for about one hour or until VERY SOFT. take out the veggies and place into a large bowl. Mash them up real good. DON'T MAKE INTO A SOUP THOUGH. put the veggies back into the pot and fold into the meat and liquid. add your shrimp now if you are using it, tomato, and onions if you'd like more. Add some salt and maggi as needed. serve over white rice and black beans,or white beans, or red beans.

Hmm...sounds interesting...will try it sometime. Re the insanity workout...I'm gonna try it and see...it looks pretty cool (apart from super hard!) but my challenge has always been consistency. I'm at the gym now but I struggle with finding the time to go as often as I should...only made it one day this week because I have meetings and stuff the rest of the days...so i'm looking for something to supplement that as well...I'm gona try it and see what happens....I know I won't be able to do it all the way but I'll just modify and do what i can...will let you guys know how it goes!
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    Like today I ate millet, it was cooked with black beans. I took one cup then added grilled mixed red, yellow and orange peppers. It was good.