Clean sauce recipe???

Options
Hey. I'm looking for a tomato based sauce to go over my veg/chicken. I don't want to use one from a jar, but do anyone have any recipes simular to the dolmio ones? :)

Replies

• Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I would be interested in this and any other clean sauces.. I love sauce :P

bump
  • healthymission92
    Options
    I hope people reply who know some. It's one thing I miss!
  • lafresita
    lafresita Posts: 27
    Options
    Well, depending on how 'saucy' you need it to be, as a replacement for tomato paste and puree for pizza bases and to stir through pasta I usually do the following:

Single serving:

tsp olive oil
    5-7 cherry tomatoes
    3-4 tbsp water
    tbsp fresh chopped basil
    pinch salt
    cracked pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp sweet paprika (or hot if you prefer a kick)

* I would also add garlic if you can tolerate it (I can't at the moment)

Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan, add tomatoes, salt, pepper, paprika (garlic if using) continue to fry until the tomatoes start to appear 'saucy'- if the pan starts to appear dry add a tbsp of water at a time and swirl the pan (I usually add 3-4).

Once the tomatoes are saucy, add the basil and sauté for 30 seconds.

Remove from pan into a bowl and mash the mixture to form a sauce (yo could blitz in a food processor if you wanted it smoother). Spread over pizza, stir through pasta, spread on toast etc.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    One thing I do when cooking Thai or Indian is to puree onion and garlic together as the base for a sauce. I would think you could also add tomatoes to the puree. Even carrots. I often add Greek yogurt (homemade) to the sauce as a thickener.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    tin tomatoes with onion and any other chopped veg plus spices Italians good fresh basil even some pesto . simples .
  • tammies00
    tammies00 Posts: 16
    Options
    How do you make homemade Greek yogurt? Is it where you strain regular yogurt?