Enlisting... with Bachelor's?

Options
moochachip
moochachip Posts: 237 Member
This December I will be graduating with my Bachelor's in Arts Technology (web/graphic design, video production, etc.) Whereas I am happy to receive my degree, I am not sure about settling down with a career in a town. There is a lot of the world I still want to see (London, Germany, etc.)

People I have talked to at the gym and other areas around town continue to peak my interest in the Air Force. Earlier this year I took the test to be admitted into the Air Force Officer Training School - Unfortunately, thanks to my (lack of) math skills, I did not make the cut into the selective school.

Anyone around here enlist in the Air Force, or know anyone who did? What kind of experiences did you/they get in return for service? I am willing to give it my all, just would love to see the world while I'm at work. (Plus the chance to have experience in public affairs would be nice.)

Replies

• rampantpiper
    rampantpiper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe I enlisted in the Air Force, and that was 21 years ago! I already was working as a full-time paramedic at age 22 but felt like I was locking myself in a career before I had the chance to do something important. I never went away to college. I have had several breaks in service since, went to the Air Force Reserves for a couple of years and settled on the Air National Guard. All these years later, I am still in the ANG as an E-7 MSgt and will be ready to retire in a few years.

My 17-year-old son has been so inspired at how my military association has affected my life, that he has decided to go. He enlisted a month ago and leaves in October.

I couldn't imagine how bad my health would be if I didn't have to pass a PT test every year. I look at some of my co-workers (I went back to being a paramedic) and many of them are very heavy and out of shape.

Talk to a recruiter. There is a chance you can get a commission with a BA in Art but I don't know. But I say go for it!
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, please keep a few things in mind: always get it in writing and the Air Force will consider its needs first. Oh, and if you should join, when/if you are given the choice of locations to be stationed, we used to call it a "Dream Sheet" because most often it turned out to be a dream if you actually got anywhere near your choice :laugh:

Seriously though, they may give you preferential consideration because of your degree and I do hope your recruiter is competent. Hopefully wherever you are stationed, you can grow from there.

Last thing...stay in shape 'cause as soon as you fall out of shape, it's a bear to get back into! No slacking! :wink:
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think you can re-apply to OTS if you really want to be an officer. I have a professional degree (JD) so my application process was different. I know OTS is more competetive these days, but I dont see why you couldnt try to apply again and retake the test... Talk to a recruiter. There are a lot of enlisted members with bachelors degrees. Some get them before coming in and others get them after they are in. As an enlisted Air Force member, you are required to get a Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) degree while you are in, regardless of whether you have a BA in something else or not - and it will be in whatever career field they put you in. The Air Force really pushes education on its members - I know a lot of MSgts who even have master's degrees! The Air Force has many many educated enlisted members so I dont think anyone would look down on you for having a BA and then enlisting. Also, as an enlisted member, you can always apply to go to OTS, so that may be an alternative option for you - go enlisted and then after a few years apply to OTS, so long as you have really good EPRs (enlisted performance reports) and show your dedication to the service. :)
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Raine, excellent post! Thank you for sharing the information :smile: