anyone missing eating bread yet?

Options
Serenajeans
Serenajeans Posts: 49 Member
I love bread but can't eat to much of it because of my diet. Dose anyone have any good replacements for bread?

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I miss it but unfortunately no, I haven't come up with any good substitutes. Although I am getting used to meals without it, so it doesn't feel so strange anymore.

The only suggestion I have is to try to turn your favorite sandwiches into salads. Just replace the bread with some sort of lettuce mixture you like, add the turkey, tuna, or other protein plus whatever veggies and cheese you like. Not exactly a bread substitute but a way to still enjoy the flavor combinations.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are a nice carb replacement, you can wash and drain them and nuke them for 2 mins in the microwave with your favorite noodle toppings (I use chicken broth powder, cheddar flavor popcorn salt, laughing cow cheese, or asian sauces).

As for actual bread, I'd really suggest attempting to make your own from less 'naughty' forms of complex carbs. Check out healthfulpursuit.com - she's my absolute favorite blogger and she's totally gluten free and a complete whiz in the kitchen with breads. She makes awesome gluten free burger buns which are sturdy enough for sandwiches!

If you have cut out bread entirely because of binging problems (I go through phases of this) you can buy or make bread and store it in the freezer and heat up a slice at a time.

Or you can try simpler, more processed alternatives, like Flatout long wraps, 100 cal sandwich thins, etc.

I crave carbs still, so I buy squash and large carrots, then cut them into bit size pieces, roast them, and have them with ketchup, salt, and pepper. It might sound strange but it's amazing when you've gone so long without bread and french fries! :)
  • Serenajeans
    Serenajeans Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the helpful info!
  • keddins1
    keddins1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've been without bread for a year now, and I've found that other carbs like quinoa, brown rice, oats, sweet potatoes (like homemade sweet potato fries), rice cakes, and popped chips make me miss it a lot less. Also, if you're craving bread, you can also think of it as just craving carbs, and fruit is loaded with natural carbs. At first my plate felt incomplete without bread, so I've started loading it up with my favorite fruits (and veggies!). I know that sounds strange, but it works for me!
    And don't worry, the hard-to-resist cravings get much better. I promise.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Uhm, I still eat bread. I love bread. And there is lots of bread out there that has whole grains and is healthy for you. Everyone needs some carbs in their diet... :huh:
  • crd314
    crd314 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't give up bread entirely. I found some amazing whole wheat bread at Great Harvest Bread Co. that only has 5 ingredients. I eat that and it's worth it every time.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been without bread for a year now, and I've found that other carbs like quinoa, brown rice, oats, sweet potatoes (like homemade sweet potato fries), rice cakes, and popped chips make me miss it a lot less. Also, if you're craving bread, you can also think of it as just craving carbs, and fruit is loaded with natural carbs. At first my plate felt incomplete without bread, so I've started loading it up with my favorite fruits (and veggies!). I know that sounds strange, but it works for me!
    And don't worry, the hard-to-resist cravings get much better. I promise.

THIS. I've really cut back on how much bread I eat, but I still really enjoy it. I've switched to whole wheat and multi-grain and only buy it from bakeries and markets so it's not laden with preservatives. Like keddins1 said, if I'm craving bread it just seems to be a craving for carbs so I eat a lot of fruit now. Your body appreciates fruit a lot more when you're not getting highly processed sugars through candy and other junk food.