Results from my new HRM

Options
KarenJanine
KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
So I decided to get the Polar FT4 (and am also getting a FitBit hence the decision to get a simpler Polar model). I collected it yesterday and used it for the first time this morning for my bicycle commute to work.

I was really expecting the MFP estimations to be way over my actual burns (MFP gives me 392 cals for 1hr cycling - the value I had been going with to date). But I tested my HRM this morning and my cycle to work alone came out as 322 cals and 32 min 40 secs. I'm pretty shocked as I really didn't think I was working that hard but I guess there are a few hills to contend with which was when my rate really got going.

So I'll test again on the way home but assuming similar results my daily burn for my commute will be in the region of 640 cals - a whopping 248 more than I had previously accounted for.

Supposing similar results when I test with my other workouts, and working out my TDEE with the help of my FitBit, I may well need to increase my calorie intake significantly. I guess this is the result I was hoping for really as my weight is completely stable at present even though I am still eating at a cut. Having got used to eating a lot more I didn't want to find out I needed to cut further, so an increase suits me fine :)

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    bring on the food :)
    yay for more cals burned
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    bring on the food :)
    yay for more cals burned

I second this! YAY FOOD!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Its amazing just how much you can burn in a short time.. Ive taken my HRM to the gym when i do NROL and Im shocked some days how high it is!
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned after years of using my HRM is that I had one setting wrong. My Polar F11 activity setting was wrong. I work out 6hrs/wk and had mine set to low. The settings descriptions are:

Low (0-1 h/wk)
    Moderate (1-3 h/wk)
    High (3-5 h/wk)
    Top (5+ h/wk)

When I notice this and changed mine to top, my calorie burns were cut in half. Sucks, but I'm all about accuracy.