Best way to use HRM to ensure accurate TDEE?

rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
So I have a Polar FT7 on the way and I'm super excited. Using the TDEE calculator (scooby) my TDEE is 2480, based on the moderate exercise category.

I'm just wondering, can any fellow MFPers shed some light on how using a HRM will help me ensure I'm on track in terms of hitting the right TDEE?

I'm aware that you can't really use a HRM all day to track TDEE. So if I use it for workouts, how do I incorporate that into my TDEE calculation? (I'm about to finish week 2 of a reset)

Replies

• rr85114
    Anyone? :P
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    I am waiting to see if someone knows!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Your TDEE already accounts for your exercise, so the only time you realy need to know your burned cals, is if you burn enough to take you below your BMR. Then you eat back some cals..
    Other then that, it is just something to see how much you actually burn in an activity:)
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    I actually did an experiment and wore my HRM for 24 hours (yep, it was uncomfortable to sleep in). I chose a rest day and it gave me a TDEE of 1950. I later had my BMR tested (oxygen test) and it is 1613. Doing the math, 1613 x 1.2 (sedentary desk job) = TDEE 1935. I'd say that's pretty darn close. The online calculators gave me a TDEE of 2400-2500 depending on which one I use. If I take my TDEE 1950 + 500 (my weekly exercise calorie burn/7 days) = TDEE of 2450 - right smack dab in the middle of the online calculators.

All that said, I definitely know my numbers, but I'm still not losing. :explode:
  • I actually did an experiment and wore my HRM for 24 hours (yep, it was uncomfortable to sleep in). I chose a rest day and it gave me a TDEE of 1950. I later had my BMR tested (oxygen test) and it is 1613. Doing the math, 1613 x 1.2 (sedentary desk job) = TDEE 1935. I'd say that's pretty darn close. The online calculators gave me a TDEE of 2400-2500 depending on which one I use. If I take my TDEE 1950 + 500 (my weekly exercise calorie burn/7 days) = TDEE of 2450 - right smack dab in the middle of the online calculators.

All that said, I definitely know my numbers, but I'm still not losing. :explode:

I agree with this... I'm not sure why some people are so certain that HRMs can't be used to measure resting calorie burn. I did a mini version of this experiment - I wore it for 8 hours at work, and then 5 hours during sleep, and then did the math. I then factored in a workout, and it came out pretty close to my TDEE - a lot closer than I would have thought.

But at the end of the day, no TDEE calculator or other algorythm can factor in things like your personal insulin resistance, leptin levels, etc., which (among about 100 other things) contribute to how easily (or not easily) you burn fat and build muscle. All the estimates are just that - estimates. Each person needs to monitor and tweak to find out specifically what does and doesn't work for them. The TDEE or HRM method just gets you to a starting place. You need to keep modifying it from there.

There are people out there (and granted, I'm never going to be this OCD about it) who can predict what their next day's weight/fat%/'etc will be based on what they eat today - and they're right on the money. It takes practice and logging, but anyone can get better at being able to predict it, depending on how far you want to go with it. (I want to be better than I am, but not as good as that...)
  • rr85114
    Interesting...

I think for now I'll just use the HRM for workouts. Today was my first day using it and I absolutely LOVED it. There is nothing like seeing your actual heartrate go up in realtime, and more importantly, ACTUAL (or very close estimate) calorie burn increasing. I can see myself getting extremely competitive with this little gadget.... it's amazing!
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Hi,

HRM should not be used to record your resting calorie burn.

As someone else said - I use my HRM to make sure I'm eating above BMR.

I know that by eating 1900 and a BMR of 1450 I can burn a maximum of 450 calories before I have to start eating them back.

Another way I have used it is - I know my TDEE without exercise is around 2,025 (various calculators, Fitbit).

On a weeks basis I know I burn say 3000 calories in exercise.

By multipling 2025 by 7, and adding on 3000 I get = 17,175

Divide by 7 = 2,453

Then deduct what I'm eating daily - 1900, leaves 553

553 x 7 = 3875 - my defecit over a week.

Thats just sample numbers btw! But its reassuring to know I am making a defecit by taking -15% cut only.
  • rr85114
    Hi,

HRM should not be used to record your resting calorie burn.

As someone else said - I use my HRM to make sure I'm eating above BMR.

I know that by eating 1900 and a BMR of 1450 I can burn a maximum of 450 calories before I have to start eating them back.

Another way I have used it is - I know my TDEE without exercise is around 2,025 (various calculators, Fitbit).

On a weeks basis I know I burn say 3000 calories in exercise.

By multipling 2025 by 7, and adding on 3000 I get = 17,175

Divide by 7 = 2,453

Then deduct what I'm eating daily - 1900, leaves 553

553 x 7 = 3875 - my defecit over a week.

Thats just sample numbers btw! But its reassuring to know I am making a defecit by taking -15% cut only.

Thanks for this MK - so, based on various calculators, my TDEE with no exercise is 1929. At the moderate exercise level, my TDEE is 2490. But, realistically, with my average of 40-min workouts (combo of strength and cardio), 5 times a week, I burn about 450cal each time. Do you think that I should just add 450 to 1929? So that my TDEE is actually 2379? (about 100 cal less than what I'm currently eating?)
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    If its working for you as it is I wouldn't!

I think you need to by one or the other from what I gather.

I'll be following the standard EM2LW method even though I have a HRM.

The only time my HRM comes into play is if I need to make sure I'm not eating below my BMR.

I know that I can burn up to 465 calories before I have to eat more than my diary is currently set for (-15%) otherwise I'll be below BMR NET which is not healthy. x
  • rr85114
    True - might be something to consider perhaps when I go to cut and don't lose - then maybe I need to look at every 100-cal instalment. Might not be as important now while I'm resetting.

Thank you for the advice - you're super knowledgeable for a newbie! :smile:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    You can use a fitbit or a BMF to get your overall whole day and then subtract your calories from your time that you exercised and add the HRM number.. this will give you a pretty good overall number.. but requires 2 devices.