Ok, so this is frustrating . . .

Options
I log in every morning and begin to tally up the losses posted by my MFP friends. Meanwhile my ticker stays exactly in the same place. Haven't lost an ounce of weight. Now, I think I can see some differences but it has only been a month and I am not looking for 20 lbs or anything but eating 1900 cals a day, while exercising a ton more than I was a month ago, is still a little scary. I haven't gained anything either - in fact my weight has been about the same for 4 years now.

My numbers -- BMR - 1679, TDEE 2602 and I weigh 220 now. I am 45 and am 5'5". I have been aiming for 1900 cals a day and am working out (strength and cardio) about 5 days a week. I have fibromyalgia and I have to take 1-2 rest days or the pain is just too much. I feel better - in fact, except for advil for some muscle soreness have not been taking my pain meds at all this month. That is a huge win for me.

Comments. . . . please.

Replies

• nsalerno90
    nsalerno90 Posts: 68
    Options
    Oh -- and I am completely dedicated to eating clean. No diet foods, no processed foods, no crap of any kind. . .
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    You really need to get rid of the scale....

Grab some measuring tape and measure... thats a much better and more accurate way to determine loss.. Also how youre clothes feel..

If you keep getting hung up on the scale, youre gonna stress yourself out with a flood of cortisol and then you end up gaining that weight back...
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Are you calculating the exercise into your calories?
    If you have just upped your cals or exercise or both in the last month you could be retaining water.
    I also take 2 rest days because of my tendonitis. If I try and skip them my knees and hips stop letting me walk, so that shouldn't be it.

What kind of exercise are you doing? How many hours a week? How much sodium are you taking in?

Any chance hormones could be having an effect? A good sneeze confuses mine.

Your body may just be resetting your metabolism if you just changed your diet or just holding on to everything because you added more exercise.

If it helps I tend to lose weight in batches, nothing for a month than 3 pounds, nothing for 2 weeks, another pound, etc...

Good luck!
  • Glenda0707
    Glenda0707 Posts: 16
    Options
    But you are doing so many good things for your body! Eating better, excercising....we ALWAYS want to lose the weight that we have had hanging around sometimes our whole lives in a matter of weeks! Not gonna happen especially when you are past 40.

Give yourself an atta'girl for all the good things you are doing and keep up the good work!

You rock girlfriend!!!!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I log in every morning and begin to tally up the losses posted by my MFP friends. Meanwhile my ticker stays exactly in the same place. Haven't lost an ounce of weight. Now, I think I can see some differences but it has only been a month and I am not looking for 20 lbs or anything but eating 1900 cals a day, while exercising a ton more than I was a month ago, is still a little scary. I haven't gained anything either - in fact my weight has been about the same for 4 years now.

My numbers -- BMR - 1679, TDEE 2602 and I weigh 220 now. I am 45 and am 5'5". I have been aiming for 1900 cals a day and am working out (strength and cardio) about 5 days a week. I have fibromyalgia and I have to take 1-2 rest days or the pain is just too much. I feel better - in fact, except for advil for some muscle soreness have not been taking my pain meds at all this month. That is a huge win for me.

Comments. . . . please.

Eat more. 1900 cals is too low of a deficit from your TDEE of 2600.. a 15% cut would put you at about 2200 cals a day. If you have been eating in any loe cale type diets for long periods of time prior to this, you might want to consider a few weeks at TDEE.

Its a slow process, but it does work and it gets easier. The hardest part it sticking it out sometimes:)
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    But you are doing so many good things for your body! Eating better, excercising....

What she said ^^^^^

I'm in the same boat with little change on the scale but I did measure from the start and have lost over 9 inches... I feel stronger, I carry myself better, my clothes fit better and there is change. Good change.

You can do this if I can do this..and I'm older than you. It's a struggle but we really can succeed! It's gonna take time but we're doing such good things for our health.

The scale is EVIL! :devil: Put it under the bed, in a closet, etc. Measure!!!

You're doing great, keep it up.:flowerforyou:
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    you are doing *great* things for yourself -- that is wonderful. that said, it's also possible that hormones are coming into play at least a little here. i am 42 and have a hell of a time losing...the game has ALL changed now (just wanted to add that in as food for thought).

i agree with a few of the others and get rid of the scale at least for another month, then check your scale progress. use the measuring tape and celebrate your healthy lifestyle!