exercise induced asthma?

Options
i have always thought I might have this. this morning i wanted to do the 2.25 mile jog again. About one mile in i had to stop because i felt like i couldn't breathe deep enough. i stopped for about 20 seconds, felt a little better and pushed on. but not too long after, i felt the same way again. i tried slowing down a little but that didn't make a difference. I only got abut 1.5 miles done and had to stop. by the time i got home, i had slowed my breathing enough that it is hard to tell if it helped. the other day i did 2.25 miles in 22 minutes. nothing else seems to explain it. anyone have experience with this?

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble breathing, slow down...if you're sell having trouble, walk until it gets better, then pick up where you left off.

If that doesn't help, then you very well may need an inhaler. I myself got one today.

I have pretty bad allergies, so am always stuffed up, so it's hard for me to breathe in through my nose....combine that with the high humidity, being fat, etc, and yeah, I have a little asthma thing going on. Dr says it will improve with losing some weight and stuff.

Also, you should be breathing in through the nose, out from the the mouth if possible.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Personally I can not breathe through my nose when I run. I've tried and I just can't get enough air in. Don't know why. I always have to breathe through my mouth pretty much the entire time. Gets REALLY try about 1/2 way through, but I just deal with it.

I did have exercise induced asthma as a kid (which ironically enough is why I was never able to run very well) but I grew out of it and now seem to be doing fine with it.

When I started this, I thought it'd be my lungs holding me back, but honestly my legs get more tired WAY before my lungs do!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day running is pretty intense exercise so it's going to be hard going on your lungs initially. It could be asthma but I would expect it to happen every time you run if it is.

I'm on various inhalers and tablets to keep my asthma under control and it still amazes me that I can even consider running. Best thing is, seven weeks after starting C25K my breathing is definitely getting better.

The only way to tell if it is asthma is to see your doctor. They may do tests (such as reversibility tests and lung capacity) or may initially just give you a reliever inhaler to try when running.

If you are struggling to breathe then try just breathing through your mouth - you get more air into your lungs this way. With asthma and a permanently blocked nose thanks to allergies mouth-breathing is the only way I can run (and is what Olympic athletes do and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me!).

Let us know how you get on.