Weighted Chins 60x5

UponThisRock
UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
I'm not quite sure why people don't tend to treat chinups/pullups as primary strength moves. They're one of the best mass builders (along with BB rows) for the mid back, upper back, and lats.

My goal is 100 lbs, I have a ways to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkd4FtYRNSQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    That is awesome! I will eventually be able to do chin ups, adding weights is a goal after the goal. Very impressive, sir. I really enjoy it when you post videos. Thanks! :drinker:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    I've made dozens of comments and even a post about this very thing Rock. Weighted Pullups/Chins are amazing.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    i always do body weight for reps. maybe on monday i'll go for a 5RM with weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Nice. You should go up to 100 and kip the fker.

lulz.

What do you think about chins vs wide grip (pullups) for lat development? I've heard different schools of thought on this. I'm currently doing wide grip to try and minimize bicep involvement.
  • taso42
    What do you think about chins vs wide grip (pullups) for lat development? I've heard different schools of thought on this. I'm currently doing wide grip to try and minimize bicep involvement.

no need to be monogamous. do a variety of different grips... :)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Agreed, and my goal is also +100 lbs :) My PR is currently 70x7. Have hit 75x5 as well.
    Also, weighted dips. :D

Re: chins vs pull-ups, my workout time is limited now, so I am basically just going with whatever involves the most muscle mass (also, chins are my only good "bicept" exercise, and I gotta "rock the guns, brah," or however the kids in the gym put it these days :p)
    Pull-ups are definitely the way to go if you want to focus more on your traps
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Nice. You should go up to 100 and kip the fker.

lulz.

Wide grip makes my RC's scream for mercy, so it's a moot point for me. I do pullups at about the same width as chins.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,078 Member
    bump
  • Sidesteal
    This thread has inspired me to switch to chins instead of pullups. I'll give it at least a full month.

Just did them today, felt pretty good.

Rock: What kind of set/rep are you using and how are you handling progression?

Thanks!
  • wackyfunster
    This thread has inspired me to switch to chins instead of pullups. I'll give it at least a full month.

Thanks!
    I got the 100 lb. box vest from weightvest.com... kinda pricey, but lifetime warranty, and have used it for all kinds of stuff (chins, dips, push-ups, calf-raises). They make a 150 lb. vest if you are larger, as well. Easy progression, since you can do 5 lb increments (even 2.5 if you don't mind slightly uneven weight front to back). You can also use a dip belt, but I am not too keen on having half my body-weight hanging off my lower back.
  • Sidesteal

Thanks!
    I got the 100 lb. box vest from weightvest.com... kinda pricey, but lifetime warranty, and have used it for all kinds of stuff (chins, dips, push-ups, calf-raises). They make a 150 lb. vest if you are larger, as well. Easy progression, since you can do 5 lb increments (even 2.5 if you don't mind slightly uneven weight front to back). You can also use a dip belt, but I am not too keen on having half my body-weight hanging off my lower back.

I currently use a belt and it works fine, but the vest idea is interesting. I was more curious what training program he's using/how he's handling the weight increase. I seem to get rather lengthy sticking points with pullups.
  • wackyfunster
    Hm, I've had a pretty straightforward progression. I do a bit more volume with chins/dips than non body weight lifts though. I shoot for 3 sets, reverse pyramid style, for 8/12/15 reps (e. g. Tuesday I did +75/+50/+25, got 5/8/13, so will stick with it next week. Probably get 6-7/12/15 reps this week and 8 the week after if past performance is any indicator). If I can get 8 on my first set, I up weights the next week. I also weight myself with vest so I know exactly how much I am doing, since body weight can vary so much. Have gone from needing 50 pounds of assistance to bw+75 pounds in the last couple of years. Pretty sure I could do 1x+100, but don't want to do that to my shoulders, lol.

Hope that's helpful :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Good stuff there Uponthisrock!

I definitely agree that they are a great back movement. I've done wide grip in the past and was doing these so often that I actually got better at them than chinups.

I've now switched to neutral grip pullups for the shoulders and have found it a lot harder than chins. Am at +65lbs x7 is the best. Will keep going until I can get 8x3 and then up the weight.

Another good one (and bloody hard!) is the band assisted one arm chin. I can only do 4 of these but they are more bicep focussed than upper back like a two hander.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I just started weighed chins and pull ups. I did 25lb chins for 2-3 sets of 10.

yest I did 15lb for pull ups. 2 sets of 8 and 1 set of 10 unweighted.

I'll have to see how much I can pile on for a 5 count of chins. I'm alot stronger with a chin grip. But I doubt I can do 60lbs.
  • taso42
    Last night I did sets of 5 with 25 lbs on the dip belt. It's a start.
  • chrisdavey
    Go with the smallest increments possible. It's like SOHP in that a little bit extra weight can feel like a TON!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Another good one (and bloody hard!) is the band assisted one arm chin. I can only do 4 of these but they are more bicep focused than upper back like a two hander.
    That's a good progression ^^^. Ster81 gave me one I really like too:

One hand grabbing the bar while the other hand is gripping a towel draped over the bar. As you get stronger your towel hand goes lower & lower on the towel til you're eventually pulling yourself up with one arm.
  • chrisdavey
    so can anyone here do a one arm chinup? (I can't)
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    so can anyone here do a one arm chinup? (I can't)
    ster81 can
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I really prefer chins to pulls. They're just easier for me.

And now I gotta see if my Y has a belt like that...