calorie and type of exercise theory/discussion (long)

rherington
rherington Posts: 85 Member
I read the boards here pretty regular. It seems there are a lot of people trying the EM2WL plan that get frustrated because they either stay the same or gain. I have also noticed when reading through what they have to say it usually says something like " i do x sessions of cardio for x time, burning x calories each time." This is usually followed with " I try to work in some weight lifting also." This is not all the time but I notice it this way more often than not.

You rarely see a frustrated "I lift heavy 3 times a week and work in some cardio, if I have time" person.

So could there be a relationship between the TYPE of exercise and the amount of calories you should take in?

I understand the whole premise of burn more than you eat, and I understand the BMR,TDEE, CUT, and everything about not eating a VLCD as well. But why could there not be a relationship between going lower calorie (not 1200 low) if you are more cardio?

You can not gain muscle mass on low calorie. Even on Scooby's site he says to burn the fat you nee to do cardio. The added muscle just makes you burn it faster. And you are healthier if you have more muscle and it does look better in my opinion.

Take mine. I first started on MFP using their recommended 1600 calories. Walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes from 3.8 to 4.5 mph. No weight training. I lost 16lbs. I averaged just over 2lbs a week. The of course I plateaued and started to gain.

So I decided to change it up. I upped my calories to 3000 based on scooby's calculator, started doing Tap Out XT. I have not lost a pound in 6 weeks. I am not frustrated by it because I have increased my strength a lot and have seen some changes in pics and small changes in the tape. My scales fluctuate from 230 to 235 daily. I did add back in 45 mins of treadmill 6 days a week to see what happens.

I plan to follow this plan at least until i reach the 90 days of Tap Out. If I get there and have not lost enough fat to suit me I may switch back to lower calories for a while as long as I am not trying to increase muscle mass or strength. Then I might go back to the higher cals and do some DDP Yoga or something. I have said it before, I can weigh 230 for the rest of my life if my body fat is at a healthy level.

I have no research to backup my theory. Based on research it does not even make sense. But it is there. The only facts I have is the observation.

So could it be that EM2LW NEEDS the muscle building/strengthening aspect of exercise to be "really" successful?
Does doing mostly cardio really require a larger deficit to be be more effective?
Does the EM2LW method more suited for someone who is looking to "change" their body composition rather than just have the scales say "you weigh less"?

I do not expect a "final answer" here. Just a discussion.