Managing Calories

Options
Hello all!

Looking for some advice on how to manage calories on dance days and non-dance days. I've been successful so far with losing weight, but I've hit a plateau with only 3 or 4 pounds until I reach my goal. My problem is that some days I just go to work (desk-type job) and then go home. Other days, I work and then go teach for four hours. According to MyFitnessPal, to lose weight I should be at 1320 per day. However, on days that I have a lot of dance classes, I can burn up to 1100 calories. I try to eat more on those days to make up for it, but it's really difficult to transition from 2300 calories to 1300 calories on a daily basis.

Any advice on how to handle this?

Replies

• skinnyallover
    Options
    I would stick around the basic 1320 calories; eating so much on the other days will only confuse you and its not like getting the extra deficit will hurt!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey Liibs
    I just do some extra proteinshakes after long dancing days and some nuts (mostly almonds but sometimes salted peanuts or mixed nuts) in between classes. This covers some of the burned calories and gives me the energy I need to dance, build muscles and sleep afterwards.
    But I would not care for refeeding all the extra calories if you don't feel like.
    And sometime I feel more hungry on non dancing days. So I allow myself to eat some of the calories burnt yesterday to eat today...

Hope that helps a little!
    Happy dancing!
  • katja_sifaka
    katja_sifaka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to supplement with almonds and raisins during a heavy dance day, plus some kind of lean portable protein like beef jerky. I also find it helps to eat my meals 'in reverse' when I'm sedentary during the day but active in the evening. I have a high protein breakfast and my main meal in the afternoon at least three hours before I'm going to dance, then when I get back from classes at night, I just have some cereal with yogurt like I might otherwise do for breakfast. Something light with carbs and dairty tends to help me sleep rather than disrupt things.