Squats

LioshaM
LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to lifting, not heavy lifting... not yet anyway.

Here is my question, what benefits to squats give. Is it possible to build muscle in my legs without weights? I have free weights, but do weights in my hand build muscles in my legs when doing squats?

Please forgive me if this is a silly question (-:

Replies

• Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Not a silly question! Doing squats with or without weights will strengthen and build the quads, glutes and hamstrings (I believe....sorry, not an expert!) Using your own body weight is perfectly fine, just add more reps than you might if you added weights to your hands (you want to get to a point where you just couldn't do another squat!). Weights in your hands adds that much weight to your body weight and make it harder for your legs to 'lift you' back up and you usually try to do 10-12 reps per set only (reaching failure in that range). As you get stronger, you just keep increasing the weight in your hands to keep increasing your muscle mass and/or strength.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    body weight squats are a great place to start!! squats are one of the greatest exercises for your legs and for your core. but make sure your form is correct.

VUciE.jpg
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    body weight squats are a great place to start!! squats are one of the greatest exercises for your legs and for your core. but make sure your form is correct.

That is one of the funniest pictures I have seen! The only thing I would say differently is that foot placement can and will vary based on several factors about your body. I personally have a slightly wider stance than shoulder width and point my toes slightly outward with my knees following that line.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member

That is one of the funniest pictures I have seen! The only thing I would say differently is that foot placement can and will vary based on several factors about your body. I personally have a slightly wider stance than shoulder width and point my toes slightly outward with my knees following that line.
    totally agree. my feet usually sit just outside of hip-width for me and feet are about 30 degrees out..knees track on the same path as the feet. :smile: