Do you hit your macros? Can I see your diary?

emgel9
emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
Hi EM2WLers! After a few days spread over a few weeks of really awful eating (high cal not good for you stuff) I've started to pay closer attention to my macros. I have them set at 40/30/30 but it seems no matter what I do I go over on carbs!!! I do not eat: bread, pasta, white flour (mainly because my fiance is a "slow carber" so we just don't keep it in the house), and generally feel I eat pretty healthy. My day normally goes:

5am workout
Protein shake (1 scoop choc protein powder, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp pb2)
Breakfast is either a greek yogurt with nuts and 1tblsp maple syrup (i just can't eat it plain) or egg bake
Snack #1: fruit or celery and pb
Lunch: leftovers from the night before (always no carb stuff bc of fiance)
Snack #2: nuts, 100 cal popcorn, or carrots w/ hummus or black beans
Dinner: usually a protein with veggies and beans (generally mexican inspired) or something else from a low carb cookbook

and yet i ALWAYS go over on carbs. I am trying to get an idea of how to get a handle on this and get my macros in line...any suggestions? Do you reach your macros and have an open diary?

Thanks!

Replies

• emgel9
    bump. anyone?
  • WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 123 Member
    I have to be totally honest, when I saw your general diary I would say this was my diet for the first 8 months of my healthier lifestyle journey. My body is regulating very well now and I am a bit more flexible at this time. Still I rarely go over on carbs. How many carbs daily are you aiming for? Is it an unreasonably low amount?
  • emgel9
    I don't think so! I put in the 40/30/30 formula to my diary and that comes out to 139g of carbs/day (according to MFP). A few years ago I did South Beach (very successfully) so I know what carbs are! This is why I am so confused! I know fruit and the 1tbsp of maple syrup and my 1/2 banana have carbs, but I can't believe I am going over! and sometimes by a lot! I always hit at LEAST 100g of protein/day, but it is never as much as MFP says it should be! I am a little confused because I never paid much attention to macros before MFP...
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    It might help if you open up your diary so we can have a look at what you are eating. That way we can give better advice

Or how many calories are you eating per day? It seems that 139 total allowed carbs is very low for a 40% total
  • emgel9
    I have MFP set to 1800 cals/day but I usually go over a bit. I would just really like to see someone's diary who hits their macros so I can see what they are eating!
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    mines open...you can look at it. I range around 43 -45% carbs by the end of the week, but then my main goal is to worry about getting in my protein. Carbs and fat kinda share the floor in the end with Carbs almost always winning (I forgot how to eat fat on a VLCD and I still forget to get enough in....one of the last few habits to break)
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    I try very hard, and usually get pretty close. Feel free to take a peek at what's in my diary. Some days I'm a percent or two off, but much better than what I was doing when I wasn't paying attention to the macros. I'm also at 40/30/30
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    I don't have an open diary but I am at 1960 calories/196 carbs/147 protein. If I want beans, I have to plan that in advance as they are a big carb drain for me. Hummus too. I get my fiber lower cal foods like veggies. I usually go over my protein and stay right under my carbs. My advice is that if you enter foods into your diary in advance and see where things can be tweaked. I personally like to have my protein number almost matching my carb number before I eat my last meal of the day. I think if you have your list of high protein foods, and eat those, the carbs will fall into place.
  • emgel9
    Thanks for showing me your diaries guys! It helps!! O the BEANS!!!!! I eat SO many beans because my fiancei s a slow carber (which basically means beans at every meal...) and I never put two and two together! I bet they are a common culprit for me! Thanks for all the help! Poking around jyski and CharliesAngels diaries helped!

look out macros, you're about to get in line!