Introduce Yourself

Options
doutri2
doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
Please give a BRIEF introduction of yourself.

How would you describe yourself as a runner?

What are your goals with running?

Replies

• doutri2
    Options
    I'll start.

I have been doing some kind of running ever since HS (1980's). Nine years ago, I was introduced to 5K runs, Adventure Racing and Triathlons. My longest race is a 10K.

With work, family and a recent foot surgery (Aug. 2010), I haven't been running so much. I am lucky if I can run once a week.

However, my goal is get back into running races and triathlons. I would also like to get my kids into running as well.

Okay, enough about me. What about you?
  • Missy1723
    Missy1723 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Missy and I started running in February 2011. February 2nd of that year had made 3 years since I had quit smoking and I felt proud and wondered if I could finally run even a half a block without becoming short of breath. I chose a couch to 5k program and lo and behold, I was a runner! I had my first 5k race in May 2011 and since then I've had a few others. The furthest I've ever run has been just over 7 miles but that's all going to change because I registered for the Chicago half marathon this September 9th! Can you tell that I'm excited? I am following a training plan that I found on marathonrookie.com.

I hope more people that were commenting on that thread show up to the group! I think this will be great motivation for all of us.
  • doutri2
    Options
    Thanks Missy. I hope so too. I found out we can have our own threads in this group setting with a different thread for each topic. This way so we don't have one thread that is 10+ pages long and people miss info that would be relevant to them.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kyli! I'm a recent C25K graduate. Since finishing C25K, I've ran three 5k trail races and a 10k. I have a lot more races coming up including 5k's, 10k's, 15k's, and I begin training at the end of this month for a half marathon at the end of October. I guess you could say I'm addicted to running! lol. I typically run every other day, but I'll be following Hal Higdon's half marathon training program, so I'll be running more soon! Glad to join you two ladies! Hopefully we can get some more people to join! :)
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am Patty a fairly new runner. I ran my first 5K on Thanksgiving Day 2011 and have since finished several more 5K's and 4 10K's. My son runs cross country so our whole family enjoys going to the races. I hope to run a 1/2 marathon in November 2012. Today I ran my farthest ever 10 MILES!! Who would ever believe I would be where I am fitness level compared to last year.
  • Missy1723
    Options
    Just wanted to put in a quick good morning before work. I ran my scheduled 5 miles yesterday for my training. It was hot but I had water with me so I got through just fine.
    It's great to meet you all!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im the BigCB

Always been able to do 8 to 10k, never really paid attention to time etc.

Decided to start taking it a little bit more serious and see how it would go.

8k, 36mins
    12k, 54minutes
    10miles, 1:24
    and did my longest run evewr saturday at 14.05miles in 2hours 8mins(not exactly fast put was more about distance). It took a lot out of me to get to that distance, anyone any tips etc, never felt the need to eat or drink when running but I am reconsidering that after saturday

The marathon in dublin is the first Monday of October, I'll give it another few weeks training before I decide if I'll do it or not. I started the marathon plan late, but I wouldn;t have been starting from zero.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I'm a new runner.
    Ran my first 5k yesterday. A personal milestone for me. I ran the whole race 35:42. I know slow but I'll get faster.
    I signed up for another 5k in early September.

All you marathoners are my inspiration. I don't have much experience, but I hope you won't mind my persistant questions on training. That being said; anyone using the apps for the iPhone. I'm thinking about using bridge to 10 k starting next week.
    Any advice will be so appreciated :flowerforyou:
  • lexismom1003
    lexismom1003 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am returning to running after 9 years, 2 kids and a serious stress fracture last year. I ran my first 5k a couple of weeks ago, on July 4th, in 33:59 (and 95 degrees!!!). I have never been a fast runner; however, I would like to finish a 5k in sub 30. I am looking to begin training for a half marathon with my sister in law.

I typically run 3-4 days per week.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Well done Lexis and Jade. I never do races, bit more of a forest gump myself. They are both very respectable times for 5k in my opinion. Keep it up
  • doutri2
    Options
    I have never been a fast runner; however, I would like to finish a 5k in sub 30. I am looking to begin training for a half marathon with my sister in law.

It's been awhile since I was sub30 min for a 5K, but it is possible. I would add sprints to my training in order to increase my overall 5K pace.

Whether you sprint on the track or the treadmill, you want to try to run as fast as you can for .25miles (once around the track). It may even take a bit to get up to that distance for a sprint. The other technique is to run hills. So find a hill you are comfortable with and run up it several times- maybe 2-3 times. In bootcamp class, we ran hills backwards too. Good for the glutes.

I know this will sound goofy, but I suggest that you do a cool down by jogging backwards. Either slow down the treadmill so you can walk backwards or go around the track backwards for a lap. But, if you are going to work your muscles hard in one direction, you need to also work the opposite muscles as well. If you want to be stretched all over, do sideway movements as well.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Burpees work well to increase speed as well(they did for me)

Running downhill will help you increase your speed(15degrees) is enough. And if possilbe to it on grass
  • lexismom1003
    Options

It's been awhile since I was sub30 min for a 5K, but it is possible. I would add sprints to my training in order to increase my overall 5K pace.

Whether you sprint on the track or the treadmill, you want to try to run as fast as you can for .25miles (once around the track). It may even take a bit to get up to that distance for a sprint. The other technique is to run hills. So find a hill you are comfortable with and run up it several times- maybe 2-3 times. In bootcamp class, we ran hills backwards too. Good for the glutes.

I know this will sound goofy, but I suggest that you do a cool down by jogging backwards. Either slow down the treadmill so you can walk backwards or go around the track backwards for a lap. But, if you are going to work your muscles hard in one direction, you need to also work the opposite muscles as well. If you want to be stretched all over, do sideway movements as well.

Thank you! I will try adding sprints and hills. Also - I have a hill in my normal run but maybe I need to find one that my body is unaccustomed to and run it 2-3 times.

Thanks again!
  • lexismom1003
    Options
    Burpees work well to increase speed as well(they did for me)

Running downhill will help you increase your speed(15degrees) is enough. And if possilbe to it on grass

I am still kind of new to running.... can you please explain "burpees"?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm a new running. I started C25K in March and finished it in June. It took me 13 weeks to do the 8 week program. I have never been a runner - not even as a kid when I was healthy. I'm still not fast, and likely never will be. I've done 4 5Ks and am currently training for a 10K in November. The longest I've run was about 4.5 miles or so. I also walk and bike.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody,

I used to run in High School many many moons ago (lol). I decided to "re-start" running last Fall. So far this year, I have run four 5K races & a Warrior Dash. I am registered and currently in training for two upcoming Half Marathons, a 10K and two 5K's this fall.
  • vapreppy
    vapreppy Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey all, My name is Stacey.

I have been running pretty streadily for the last 3 years. "trying" to train for my first marathon. I manage to find time with 4 kids and nursing school. At this point I think I will be happy just to run the whole thing and not worry about time.

did a couple 5k's.. 29 min and 27 min

obstacle/ mud run race: 3.6 miles- 38:02

2 half marathons: 2:09, and my last race was a couple months ago at 1:56.
  • Missy1723
    Options
    Welcome to our two newest friends! Good luck on your races and running challenges!! :)
  • BerndWeede
    Options
    Hi five together,
    I'm Bernd from Germany. Starting jogging this spring with 51 years. My goal: hm in April 2013.
    Looking forewart for manny virtual runs and trails with you and real runs an trails here.