When to speak up?

fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
I'm only wanting to post this in a couple groups, rather in the main board. I'm really seeking some advice that I can't go to family or friends about. If you suspected someone of molesting a child, without any REAL evidence, would you tell the mother of the children or keep it to yourself?

In my situation, a relative who is about 7 years older than me, who I know molested at least two if not 3 young children in my family, is being very suspicious. The family things happend 15-18 years ago, but he has consistantly been "close" to young, elementary aged kids at the Christian school I attended. His baby sister didn't speak for the first 5 years of her life when he lived at home, I'm convinced this has something to do with him abusing her. She is now 15 and has never said anything about it. His neighbor, who also works with me, came into my office and asked me about him. She said someone told her to keep her kids away.

He recently met a young, single mother online and has change two of his cover photos to photos of her two young kids that he has never met! I find this to be creepy, considering what it know. Now do I mind my business or warn the mother? I have no evidence against him, other than wht happened 18 years ago. And of course, accusing an innocent person of child molesting has serious consequences. It could destoy his life/career if I'm wrong and tear apart my family.

Would you say something or leave it alone?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    If it were me, I'd seek the advice of Child Protective Services before telling the mother and see if they have any advice on the matter.

EDIT: Even if they can't do anything, maybe they can help you figure it out.
  • fbmandy55
    If it were me, I'd seek the advice of Child Protective Services before telling the mother and see if they have any advice on the matter.

Could they legally hold me anything if I did go to them and I were correct? I want the best for the kids but I also don't want my family knowing of me saying anything.
  • EvanKeel

Could they legally hold me anything if I did go to them and I were correct? I want the best for the kids but I also don't want my family knowing of me saying anything.

How correct do you think your feelings are? If I was pretty sure something was going on, I don't think I would care what the family thought of me; it would be worth it. Alternatively, perhaps you could try to keep the name of the person out of the conversation initially? If they understand that you don't really have evidence, it may not be something they'd press you for.
  • fbmandy55

How correct do you think your feelings are? If I was pretty sure something was going on, I don't think I would care what the family thought of me; it would be worth it. Alternatively, perhaps you could try to keep the name of the person out of the conversation initially? If they understand that you don't really have evidence, it may not be something they'd press you for.

If I knew I was right, I wouldn't hesitate to say something. Even regarding my family. But the rest of my family, including one person in my immediate family refused to believe it happended the first time and they all act as if he had never done anything.
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    If you were the parent of these children, would you want to be warned?
  • EvanKeel
    I know I'm not everyone, and people have different reactions to things, but if one of my family members accused me of molesting a child (and I knew I had not), then my first concern would still be for the kids, and I would very willingly comply with any investigation. I might not be thrilled with the person for doing it, or thinking it, but the safety of the kid(s) would be more important to me than what some other person thought. I'd want the truth to be known.

And since it hasn't happened, maybe I'm wrong about my reaction, but that's the view I'd try to take.
  • fbmandy55

Absolutely. But I wouldn't want to be involved if the person was wrong..
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    The child's safety is more important than any thing else. If I suspected something wrong, I would speak up. I don't care how unpopular I might become. It would suck to be wrong and cause that person so much trouble, but it would be far worse to be right and remain silent.
  • sicembears

Aboslutely. But I wouldn't want to be involved if the person was wrong..

I can't say with 100% certainty (maybe someone reading might know), but I don't think you can be held liable for information that you know is true. A warning based on what happened in the past, especially in this situation, would be warranted, imo.

A former teacher, there were two times DEFACS had to be notified of possible child abuse for students in my classroom. This occurred in Texas, btw. Although nothing was proven, I was not held responsible for reporting on assumption.
  • fbmandy55

Aboslutely. But I wouldn't want to be involved if the person was wrong..

I can't say with 100% certainty (maybe someone reading might know), but I don't think you can be held liable for information that you know is true. A warning based on what happened in the past, especially in this situation, would be warranted, imo.

A former teacher, there were two times DEFACS had to be notified of possible child abuse for students in my classroom. This occurred in Texas, btw. Although nothing was proven, I was not held responsible for reporting on assumption.

Yeah. I just recently found out that his new gf and I have a mutual friend on facebook that they would never know I was a friend of. I am going to talk to her tonight and see if she will drop the bomb to her friend. IF not, it looks like I will give a call to social services.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    in my humble opinion, this is one of those cases where you'd rather have a false positive than never speak up.

Also, you aren't accusing an "innnocent" person. You're checking up on a prior perpetrator. If you came up with this suspicion out of the clear blue sky, then it would be difficult to justify bringing it up. But this guy has a history of this.

I knew a girl in third grade who told us, her classmates, that her Daddy peed in her mouth. We all were: 1. too young to realize, 2. grossed out, and 3. told her she was a liar.

Years later, I'm still haunted by the thought that if any one of us had told an adult, she might have been saved from it.
  • fbmandy55
    The child's safety is more important than any thing else. If I suspected something wrong, I would speak up. I don't care how unpopular I might become. It would suck to be wrong and cause that person so much trouble, but it would be far worse to be right and remain silent.

I know. I entirely know. But in the first scenario, so many people backed this person that it was unbelieveable. I was the one who brought it to light and the church, his parents, and some other members of my family didn't believe me. I don't know if it was because I was young or if it was because he and his parents are so eeply invovled with the church and I am not.

You see why I no longer go to that church and no longer trust religion.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    This is just one of those situations we all hope we never get in to. The ackwardness and terror of getting involved, especially if your suspiciouns turn out to be false would give anyone reason to pause, to feel like maybe they should back off and let someone else handle it. But there is no one else, there is only you. I agree with Evan, call Child protection. Better to hurt the feelings of a former child molester than to chance that he might be praying on another child. It's a big responsibility, but I think you are up to it.
  • sicembears

I know. I entirely know. But in the first scenario, so many people backed this person that it was unbelieveable. I was the one who brought it to light and the church, his parents, and some other members of my family didn't believe me. I don't know if it was because I was young or if it was because he and his parents are so eeply invovled with the church and I am not.

The thing that matters most here, really, is the safety of the child/children. Period.

With the Penn State situation being fresh in all of our minds, I would venture to say that you're more at risk of being sued if you say nothing when you knew something.
  • fbmandy55

The thing that matters most here, really, is the safety of the child/children. Period.

With the Penn State situation being fresh in all of our minds, I would venture to say that you're more at risk of being sued if you say nothing when you knew something.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Penn State too.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    If you know he's molested children in the past, then you need to say something. Pedophilia is a horrible illness and from what I know, those people should avoid having close contact with children. If you KNOW he's done it before, then no one should be upset with you of he hasn't with this child....yet.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,087 Member
    i would tell her in a hot second. hes has prior bad acts that he has never been held accountable for. he needs to kept away from all children. i dont care if its true or not, error on the side of the children.

i would not hesitate. it doesnt matter what happens to you in your family, it only matters that he be kept away from children.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member

1. No, even if you are wrong there is no backlash, or possibility of you being in trouble for reporting it.
    2. CPS is not allowed to tell the family who made the report.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    If you had no solid reason to be suspicious, I'd understand your hesitation. But you said you know this person molested children. That's all you need to know to tell CPS, the woman he's wanting to date, and anyone else you care to, for that matter. This is one situation, given his past, where I very firmly believe in guilty until proven innocent.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Here:

http://www.in.gov/dcs/2971.htm

1-800-800-5556

This is the Indiana DCS Child Abuse Hotline.

All calls are anonymous. Call them now.