Feeling Super Tired After Upping Cals

Telugammayi87
Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
I upped my cals yesterday from 1250 to 1960... I feel soooo exhausted after eating so much today and yesterday. It's 8:30 and I may just go to bed.... Is this normal.. maybe because my body is working to digest all of this "extra" food and raise my metabolism after so long of barely scraping by? Just wondering if anyone else experienced this....

I think I'll nap while I wait on replies...:yawn:

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    from the new site:

This was from a post over on the MFP group, that one of the members (I think it was JadeRabbit?) posted, that discussed the "stages" of upping cals. For the most part, I've found this to be accurate in my own research as well:

Quote:
    While avoiding my lastest uni assignment I was researching the nature of hypermetabolic response (increased metabolism) due to increased calorie intake after a period of calorie restriction. Its most relevant to ED people but thinking back on when I upped my calories to above my BMR I had a response that seems to be repeated by a few others in the eat more group.

1. 1200 and not hungry dont want to eat more,
    2. Up calories feel overfull
    3. After two days of eating more I am ravenous and want even more food.
    4. Feel energised and "active" continue to eat at new calorie level
    5. Energy disappears for three weeks and I am exhausted.
    6. Energy starts to return and I stabilize.

So how many went through step 5? I've been wondering if the metabolic response "overshoots" and for a short period of time even with the raised amount of calories you can still be undereating as the calculators out there dont take into account the metabolic response that occurs when you first start eating properly after restricting calories for a time.

This is an extract describing the hypermetabolic state experienced by recovering ED people. -

When recovering from a state of prolonged starvation, an individual suffering from anorexia will enter a hypermetabolic state. During the period of starvation, the body will enter a lowered metabolic state. When the patient begins eating a normal diet once again, the body's metabolism shoots up dramatically before stabilizing.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Hypermetabolic? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6828026_meanin...z1vV6JGmVJ
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Thank you!