What do you do when eating out? Also Macro's? - Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to MFP and this way of eating, but so excited about starting :-D

I'm on holiday for 10 days and will be eating out for all my meals - do I just make as good of a guess as I can with diary / weights? Guess thats better than not tracking at all?

Next question - do I have to reach my macro limits everyday, or does it not matter?

Thanks

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Hi,

I'm new to MFP and this way of eating, but so excited about starting :-D

I'm on holiday for 10 days and will be eating out for all my meals - do I just make as good of a guess as I can with diary / weights? Guess thats better than not tracking at all?

Next question - do I have to reach my macro limits everyday, or does it not matter?

Thanks

Hi there.
    If you are eating out at most major restaraunt chains, you might be surprised what you will find by typing it in to your tracker. pretty much everything but a "mom and Pop" type of place I have been able to find in the database, or at least something very close to it.
    As for your macros, yes you do want to hit as close to your limits as you can, but its not an exact science. Some days you might be under, some days over.. the overall jist of it is to try and hit them all as best you can
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Thanks! I'm actually going to Maldives so no chain restaurants! :)

Will just be standard meals (non-chain based) so I guess I'll put in the diary what I can but guess weights of things.

It will be hard to make sure I'm doing macro's tho as likely to be tracking AFTER eating etc.

Will it be OK to focus on the calories alone for 12 days? I'll try and make sure I make protein choices etc.

Thanks
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member

Will just be standard meals (non-chain based) so I guess I'll put in the diary what I can but guess weights of things.

It will be hard to make sure I'm doing macro's tho as likely to be tracking AFTER eating etc.

Will it be OK to focus on the calories alone for 12 days? I'll try and make sure I make protein choices etc.

Thanks

If its a vacation, as it seems to be, then definitely cut yourself some slack and enjoy the trip. I wouldnt worry too much about exact amounts. As long as you get a basic idea of what you are putting into your mouth, then it helps.. I wouldnt worry about macros at all on vacation.. Its VACATION:)
    Work on making decent choices as best you can for most of the time and just enjoy the rest:)
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110

Thanks

If its a vacation, as it seems to be, then definitely cut yourself some slack and enjoy the trip. I wouldnt worry too much about exact amounts. As long as you get a basic idea of what you are putting into your mouth, then it helps.. I wouldnt worry about macros at all on vacation.. Its VACATION:)
    Work on making decent choices as best you can for most of the time and just enjoy the rest:)

Thankyou!

I guess as its my first week starting EMTLWL today - I don't want to undo my work by week 2 & 3 if you know what I mean, as then I won't be able to gauge whether its working for me accurately by the end of week 4. But reality is, its a holiday, I'm unlikely to be on the Internet so probably won't even be able to track calories 100%.