PMDD and Fish Oil? I wonder...

Options
Deltafliers
Deltafliers Posts: 201 Member
Since I have added fish oil to my diet, I have noticed that I don't see a weight gain the week before TOM. It is the only explanation I have to explain this trend, as the fish oil (and fiber gummies) are the only changes made since this trend. Personally, I have also noticed that I take less of my anxiety meds, as well as, discovering my rage does not get so insane.

Now granted, I have lost body fat which retains estrogen. Howerver, in the grand scope of things, I don't believe I have lost so much body fat (currently @ 34% with a loss of 3% in 2 months) that this could explain my lessened symptoms.

I recently came across this article, "How Your Diet Affects Your Mood". And here are some key areas that got me to thinking.

*When researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, put women on a 1,200-calorie-a-day diet, they found that test subjects produced more of the stress hormone cortisol and reported higher levels of perceived stress.*

*According to research, a deficiency in omega-3 fatty acids -- alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), found in plant sources like flaxseeds, soybeans, and walnuts, but not almonds; docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), both found in fish and algae -- is associated with depression, anger, and hostility. Getting adequate amounts of omega-3s can actually improve brainpower and mood.*

Now don't get me wrong, I still have severe symptoms, and you have all seen me post about depressing periods of time. What strikes me as most intersting though, is that by not usually eating 1200 cal/day I produce less cortisol (which we all know helps keep the fat) and that fish oil helps lessen depression, anger, and hostility--key symptoms in PMDD. I truly wonder if these dieting tips can be correlated to aiding in the symptoms of PMDD.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/tips/diet-tips/diet-and-mood-swings/( This is the link for the full article)