Redtango76's C25k Journey

Options
After a lil inspiration from Virginiejaubin's progress thread . I decided it would be helpful for me and others to start my own. I started this plan yesterday with my week 1 day 1. I chose to run at the local high schools track for two reasons 1) it would make it easier for me to calculate distance and 2) astro turf saves the knee's . I plan on doing the majority of my runs at the track but this being Seattle area rain happens ALOT and I may use a treadmill on some days.

I was tired after my first run but not exhausted . I will take this as a sign that my radio fitness level is not as terrible as I originally believed. I felt so accomplished afterward! It had been about 2 years since the last time I ran and even then I was a novice. Im looking forward to my next run and I'm hoping I feel as good afterward.

I've decided to dangle a carrot at the end of my stick by signing up for the Iron woman 5k race in Seattle on Sept 9 which is right after week 9 .

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!

I'd love to use our high school track, but it's usually locked up, so unless I go while the kids are at marching band, I'm stuck going to the park.

5k is a great goal! You can do it!
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options

I am fortunatel the schools here have mostly open campuses and allow locals to use their facilities during off ours and in summer.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I look forward to following your progress! You can to it!
  • Redtango76
    Options
    Week I day 2 complete!

Ran at the local track felt pretty good til about 15 min in. My shin and angle muscles started cramping so I briefly stopped and stretched them out before resuming the rest of my run. That seemed to do the trick I didn't have anymore problems afterward.

Lesson of the day always stretch really well before and after my run ....when I returned home I spent 15 min stretching everything out . It felt great!

When everything is said and done I would call today a success for the sole reason I got out there and did it! And didn't let my excuses get in the way... If you know me you know that's a big deal!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I've decided to dangle a carrot at the end of my stick by signing up for the Iron woman 5k race in Seattle on Sept 9 which is right after week 9 .

My first race is Sept. 8th, and that's what I've used to motivate myself into finishing this program. We can motivate each other! (:

Great job on D2! Stretching really is key, especially when the runs get longer, I've found. Just make sure when you stretch beforehand, it's more "dynamic" (hope I'm using that correctly) - as in, do butt kicks, swing your arms across your chest or in circles to open up joints, etc. See if that helps with your cramping during your runs.

Can't wait to see your progress!
  • Redtango76
    Options

My first race is Sept. 8th, and that's what I've used to motivate myself into finishing this program. We can motivate each other! (:

Great job on D2! Stretching really is key, especially when the runs get longer, I've found. Just make sure when you stretch beforehand, it's more "dynamic" (hope I'm using that correctly) - as in, do butt kicks, swing your arms across your chest or in circles to open up joints, etc. See if that helps with your cramping during your runs.

Awesome! I look forward to hearing how your first 5 k goes... Thanks for the tips on stretching I've been super tight the last few days so I will definitely try them tomarrow on day3
    Can't wait to see your progress!
  • Redtango76
    Options
    W1D3 is in the bag! Officially Rolling over to week 2!

Today's run was tough. I was already very sore from my training session yesterday. I stretched really good prior to prevent injury which kept my shins from cramping up. By the end the soreness from yesterday started to subside.
    Cardiovascularly I was able to withstand longer than my prior runs.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    W1D3 is in the bag! Officially Rolling over to week 2!

Today's run was tough. I was already very sore from my training session yesterday. I stretched really good prior to prevent injury which kept my shins from cramping up. By the end the soreness from yesterday started to subside.
    Cardiovascularly I was able to withstand longer than my prior runs.

Great!

Make sure you are doing an adequate cool down (5 minutes minimum) and are drinking a lot of water. That will help with soreness.

You will me amazed at how much your endurance goes up these next few weeks. AMAZED! Keep it up!
  • Redtango76
    Options
    W2D1

Woot! Woot! Made to week 2 and still am as motivated as ever to keep at ! I noticed my breathing is improving and so is my over all strength .

My one gripe is I need a better timing and measuring system ! I don't want to look at my phone every 90 sec . Is there some kinda of gadget that will beep every 90 secs? Wishful thinking? I have been using the marks on the track for measuring my progress and ignoring times. I feel like looking at my phone constantly for time will slow me down and interrupt flow. I set my time for 30 min and start with a 5 min warm up then 20 min in the walk run phase and end with a 5 min cool down .

Now on to W2 D2,..
  • Sopsongbird
    Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    W2D1

My one gripe is I need a better timing and measuring system ! I don't want to look at my phone every 90 sec . Is there some kinda of gadget that will beep every 90 secs? Wishful thinking? I have been using the marks on the track for measuring my progress and ignoring times. I feel like looking at my phone constantly for time will slow me down and interrupt flow. I set my time for 30 min and start with a 5 min warm up then 20 min in the walk run phase and end with a 5 min cool down .

I have the C25K program on my ipod and it talks over my music to tell me what to do and when...it is really helpful. I do it on the treadmill, so it is a little harder to push the button to slow down when I'm bouncing haha! I might start a progress thread!
  • Redtango76
    Options
    W2D1

I have the C25K program on my ipod and it talks over my music to tell me what to do and when...it is really helpful. I do it on the treadmill, so it is a little harder to push the button to slow down when I'm bouncing haha! I might start a progress thread!

Thanks ! I'm gonna download that today ! Where do I go to find it ?
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't use a smart phone. I use a podcast which requires an mp3 player. I searched iTunes for c25k and downloaded the podcast with the female MC with the british accent calling the run and walk points. I have been very pleased with it so far. I am in week 7. There are other podcasts with different music and MCs. Just do a google search for c25k.

I am using a Timex Ironman watch that I have had for a while to log lap times on a track while doing the 25-30 min runs. I use this to determine what speed I am running at at different points in the run. I record it on a spread sheet to track my progress. I find it helpful with increasing both speed and endurance on the longer runs. I also use my own music on the long runs just a change of pace from the c25k podcast music.

Enjoy running!
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    Enjoying following your progress!! I am currently on W3D2. For my timed jogging/walking I made my own "podcast".

HgH:drinker:
  • Redtango76
    Options
    Thanks so much for the podcast tips ! Ive already downloaded it!

W2D2

Not sure if I should count today as part of the original C25k format . Today my sister joined me and it was more like the extreme C25k program ( no I'm not really into overdoing things) Didn't really intend it to be but that's how it turned out....my sister lives about 3/4 miles from a major trail in our area. We walked to the trail and started a walk run pattern that was walk for 3 run for 2 for an hour. we then walked back to her house all in all it was a 2 hr event. I was actually surprised at how well I performed .my sister is pretty fit and I was able to keep pace with her most of the time . By the end I was tired but not wiped. I didn't have muscle cramping issues or any other complaints. It was fun to run with someone else and before I knew it the time had flown by and passed us by altogether . It may not be exactly per program but I count it as a victory and felt totally relaxed afterward. Which is a big deal for an anxiety sufferer.
  • Sopsongbird
    Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel you didn't overexert yourself, then you should be fine! I would DEFINITELY move onto the next day! Congrats on feeling good during the runs! Things are getting easier!!!
  • Redtango76
    Options
    Did W2D3 using the new C25K app ..I think without the app was actually running farther and longer because once I started running I was shocked by how quickly it was over. One problem I did have this time was sore knees and shins from my tues evening strength training session. I had to quit running in the last 5 min and walk for the remainder of the session followed by a good stretch. I'm going to repeat this session on Friday .
  • Redtango76
    Options
    I repeated Wednesdays session again on Sat morning and had the same problem as Friday . So I have decided to take a week or two off and use either the elliptical or stationary bike in place of running until my shins heal. I don't wnt to make the problem worse . I'll keep you posted on the healing process
  • krawles
    krawles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The run with your sister and the runs without the C25K application may have contributed to overtraining. Running will make your bones stronger. Looking forward to your return on the C25K path.
  • Redtango76
    Options
    The run with your sister and the runs without the C25K application may have contributed to overtraining. Running will make your bones stronger. Looking forward to your return on the C25K path.

Yes I completely agree ! Which is why I'm going to allow my body to recover properly before resuming . Thanks