Should I adjust my TDEE when I don't hit my exercise goals?

rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
Hi all

Today is the last day of week 2 of my reset. I've been eating at my TDEE every day - 2480. That's my moderate exercise number. Usually I have no problem getting in my 3 to 5 hours of exercise, but I've been run down with a cough and headache this week so have only managed about 1-2 hours of exercise.

Do I need to adjust my TDEE today and for the next few days to the 'lightly active' number until I can get back into my usual exercise routine? Realistically I think I'll be back in the game in a day or two.

Replies

• MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Hi,

I'm new (day 1) but have done lots of research (I've gone through millions of old posts!)

General consensus is leave it as it is, its only when its a couple of weeks you miss out that you need to re-assess.

Thanks
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks a lot :) That makes sense to me.

And a particular thank you for doing what I was to lazy to do! Hahah!
  • MeganKate24
    :-) I have made my way through pretty much every post on the whole forum now - still full of questions myself tho!
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    I had this same question after I have taken a few days off due to a mild injury. I've been eating at TDEE-15% cut but for strenuous activity level. 5 days off and I feel like I've blobbed out!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    As pp already said, you don't change your activity level, unless it is going to change for a longer time. Not even for a two week vacation, let's say. As long as you get back to you routine, things should be ok
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    If you were to say, go on vacation for a week, Why would you not reduce TDEE? Lets say normally with strenuous exercise you are at 2800 cal per day. During your vacation, you don't exercise at all and your TDEE for that week is only 2000 (sedentary). Wouldn't that person be over their TDEE by 800 calories every day for the entire week? That is 5600 extra calories in that week over TDEE! Do our metabolisms keep going from the week before to allow this?
  • MeganKate24
    If you were to say, go on vacation for a week, Why would you not reduce TDEE? Lets say normally with strenuous exercise you are at 2800 cal per day. During your vacation, you don't exercise at all and your TDEE for that week is only 2000 (sedentary). Wouldn't that person be over their TDEE by 800 calories every day for the entire week? That is 5600 extra calories in that week over TDEE! Do our metabolisms keep going from the week before to allow this?

I'm not sure how it works but I have learned from lots of posts consistency is the key - perhaps this is why we do not change it.
  • maltipink
    I have often wondered about this. In a week I will be going on vacation and will most likely be close to sedentary. That for me is 700-800 calories less than my current TDEE. It could potentially add up to some "fat" gain that I def do not want.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    i've been eating at TDEE for 4 weeks now and one of the weeks I had no exercise (so to speak of anyways) and it never effected my weight at all. Mind you that's me, but just thought i'd share.
  • maltipink
    i've been eating at TDEE for 4 weeks now and one of the weeks I had no exercise (so to speak of anyways) and it never effected my weight at all. Mind you that's me, but just thought i'd share.

OOHH..This gives me hope:)