Homemade Flax Milk

Options
heniko
heniko Posts: 796 Member
Here is an ultra healthy milk alternative ...
Flax seed is rich in protein, fiber and Omega3 fatty acids. It also makes smooth, easy and delicious non-dairy milk. In my opinion, the slightly nutty taste of flax milk splendidly compliments cereals and granola, and if you have been drinking non-dairy milk for awhile, this variation of it is something new to try.

Golden flax seeds provide for milder-tasting milk, while brown flax seeds make nuttier milk.

Flax milk stays fresh of 3-5 days in the refrigerator, if stored in an air-tight container.

Homemade Flax Milk

Ingredients:

( makes 6 cups)

1/4 cup raw whole flax seeds
5 cups water
4 large pitted dates
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:

Place flax seeds in the blender and add water. Let stand for 5 hours or overnight so that the seeds expand.

Blend until all seeds have been broken down, but the pieces are still visible. Put a nut bag or cheesecloth over the top of the blender and slowly strain the mixture through the nut bag into a large bowl. Strain the liquid again, squeezing the nut bag. Pour the milk back into the blender. Add dates, cinnamon, sea salt and vanilla. Blend until the mixture is homogenous.

Replies

• bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Now that's intriguing. I have a big bag of ground flax seed that I add to my food, would ground flax seed work as well?
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure 100% but I guess it would work since what you are doing, mixing the flax with water to make flax milk.