Do you need to watch what you eat...

Or does it not matter, as long as your sticking within calories and hitting macros as best as you can?

I've seen some people talking about clean eating - does it make or break the EMTWL method?

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Eating as clean as you can is recommended but not a requirement. NO ONE is going to tell you that eating junk/fast food, etc is OK, but even THAT is not forbidden.

Focus FIRST on hitting your Protein and trying to keep that Sodium at or near 2400mg/ day. Once you get that down, you'll see what you have to eat daily to reach those goals and you can plan the rest of your food around that.

You're gonna do this, I just know it!:wink:
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    I try to watch my carb and choloesterol count. Anytime you're eating healthy you're better off, I think. Its nice, though, to be able to have some junk and not beat yourself up over it.
  • nsalerno90
    nsalerno90 Posts: 68
    I certainly attempt to eat clean 90% of the time -- whole foods do make a difference. First, they fill you up, they have more fiber, they have more nutrients and they taste much better than processed crap. However, every once in awhile an oreo isn't going to derail you - or that Kohr's ice cream on the boardwalk. I have been creating certain meals that meet my goals that I can turn to frequently and don't worry too much about the infrequent exceptions. I also don't expect others to provide me food that I prefer -- if I am in someone's house I eat what is served, with the exception of wheat because I am gluten intolerant. Good luck with this --
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    I agree with others. If you plan your proteins in and stick to low sodium, then it's almost certain you are eating MOSTLY clean. Best wishes!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Eating as clean as you can is recommended but not a requirement. NO ONE is going to tell you that eating junk/fast food, etc is OK, but even THAT is not forbidden.

Focus FIRST on hitting your Protein and trying to keep that Sodium at or near 2400mg/ day. Once you get that down, you'll see what you have to eat daily to reach those goals and you can plan the rest of your food around that.

You're gonna do this, I just know it!:wink:
    ^^^^^this^^^^^
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    My biggest non "clean" thing is wine. I love my glass of red wine in the evenings.

That said, I focus big time on getting my protein because if I don't, I don't get enough of it. I focus on getting it through lean meats, and my protein powder. Without it, I wouldn't get enough.

After that, I worry about carbs, but I know that most of my carbs come from vegetables, so I don't worry too much if I go over.

I find that if I eat the right proteins, generally, everything else falls into place.

I don't eat clean as in no processed foods. I also enjoy Splenda LOL. And I prefer low or non-fat stuff.

So...I guess I don't really eat clean.

But I do eat LOTS of lean meats like white meat of chicken and lots and lots of fish. And I eat lots of raw veggies and fruits (and cooked veggies as well).