What did the "reset" teach you?

Options
MeDoula
MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
I'm now in my second week of the reset.

Since I started it, I have a hard time controlling what I eat. Making healthy food choices ALL.THE.TIME feels like an impossible task. I had to cut down on veggies and fruit to get in all the calories (especially from protein). I more often grab "junky" stuff to get to TDEE and then I go into the reds. I have to learn to eat more while not overeating. At the same time I need to make healthy healthy choices. "Eating healthy" wasn't a big deal when I had only 1000-1400 cal to eat. My diet included lots of veggies (of course since they are low in cal) and fruit and was more balanced.

I feel like I'm learning a lot about myself and my "eating behavior". I really need to learn "HOW" to eat. From the start. I never ate like this in my entire life.

There is definitely more to "eating your TDEE". At least for me.

I wonder what "reset" taught you?

Replies

• slm0257
    slm0257 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way with regard to getting to TDEE but not going over. I have increased my breakfast calories to included protein with my regular bowl of oatmeal and am working on hitting my macros consistently. I am definitely learning that I CAN do this and that my body loves the food I am giving it. No more rumbling tummy due to eating too little. At the start of week 2, I've only gained about a lb. I can deal with that! My clothes still fit the same and I feel very at peace with this whole process so far.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am just on a diet break, not the full reset but I have learned that I can eat at TDEE and not gain.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I never have to starve myself on 1200-1400 cals again. I eat DOUBLE that amount and basically my weight is unchanged.
    I learned that I can ENJOY my food and not feel guilty about an ice cream or a piece of chocolate, or a day at the Stampede filled with corndogs and mini donuts and crap galore.
    I learned that I CAN be patient:)
    I learned that You dont have to eat total crap in a day to get your calories in.
    I Learned that I can have more than one serving of greek yogurt in a day and not feel guilty about eat it. (Seriously, always felt guilty about eating more yogurt:))
    I learned that the scale lies
    I learned that the tape measure can lie
    I learned that I am not alone in this
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    ...my life is not ruled by gaining or losing weight-it's ok to just "be"
    ...I can eat a mega treat daily, and not "blow" the rest of the day
    ...I can eat a lot of food and not gain
    ...the devil (scale) is a liar
    ...trust in how my body feels
    ...killing myself with mega burns is pointless
    ...I'm not the only one:bigsmile:
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a thread :smile:

I've learned that:

... real change comes when you decide to change your mindset and attitude towards your body, health, and food. It's not a short-term thing that you throw out the window once you "get to goal".
    ... given that it's a life-long change, we need to stop being so hard on ourselves and take each day at a time. There shouldn't be a scary deadline to lose X kgs by - just relax and be consistent, and change will come.
    ... we've been tricked by old-school dieting methods that eating too little and exercising too much is the answer - I feel like this is a revelation and I have to tell everyone about the fact that, as Raynn said, I can eat DOUBLE what I was eating before and not (really) gain!
    ... Food is not the enemy. Eating as little as possible whilst trying to feel as full as possible (read: drink several cans of diet soda every day to trick myself into satiety) is horrible for my health. Why ignore the signals that your body is so clearly sending?

Above all, resetting has taught me that it's *okay* to eat, and that our bodies are in fact designed to be fed regularly and abundantly in order to operate at their best. It's almost like my body is breathing a huge sigh of relief and thanking me for finally answering its pleas for more freaking food!