Suggestions for eating more... I can't afford it every day!

Telugammayi87
Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
I've pretty much gone through 90% of the food in my house from eating over the past week... I generally try to stay clear of processed foods. I eat a lot of fruits/veggies.... but these are low calories... If i eat more race/grains then my carb macro goes sky high.... Anyone have suggestions for eating more and healthily and not spending a fortune? I'm about to have to up my calories even more once I can resume more intense workouts! Not sure if I can afford it!! Thanks for any suggestions :)

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 577 Member
    It's hard. One of the things I do is buy cheap boneless/skinless chicken breast (I get it for 1.98 per pound at Walmart), and cook up a bunch then separate it into serving size portions and freeze it for a quick main dish when I don't have time to cook.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I buy a ton of meat when it's on sale. I just got 6 giant pork chops for $4.00.

Eggs are relatively cheap.

Milk isn't too bad. I drink a big glass of chocolate milk after a workout.

Buy almonds in bulk, they are calorie dense.

Yogurt isn't too expensive unless you buy greek (which I do but it's the one thing I really splurge on).
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    I completely sympathise. Having gone from anorexia to eating 2400 calories per day, my food bills have actually left me in real financial trouble since I didn't even consider how they would skyrocket, especially since I am allergic to gluten. Here are some foods I like to go for:

Rice and pasta
    Red meat - more calories per g than chicken
    Calorie dense fruit and veg (bananas, frozen peas, corn, sweet potato)
    Canned tuna, mackerel and salmon
    Peanut and almond butters
    Frozen chicken (usually a ton cheaper than fresh)
    Canned lentils and beans
    Oats

Baking your own muffins, cookies, shortbread etc is a great way to cut costs and make them healthy while still packing a good calorie punch.

I also try to always buy supermarket brand goods on more expensive foods like dairy, meat and fresh produce. I go grocery shopping later in the day so that they have reduced goods and freeze them the same day for later use. I also take packed food with me for all my meals and snacks when I am out of the house. That saves a small fortune.

Foods like lettuce, carrots, many soups, cod etc are great for dieters but they simply take up too much stomach space for too few calories and at a very high financial cost. Get your vitamins from smart sources!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Oh yah potatoes are cheap!

Add some full fat sour cream to it or a scoop of plain greek yogurt and mmmmm
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    I've been using dried beans like navy, kidney and soy beans. One dry portion equals approx 3 cooked. They are also very good for protein and iron :)
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    also some grains provide more protein than others. Quinoa, for example, has a decent amount in it.

Egg whites (you could save the yolks for baking, and there is information on freezing them online) are a very good protein source. depending on how you feel about mercury, canned or packet tuna is an option: th e light versions have less mercury, I believe, and you can often find deals on these at places like a dollar store that has groceries.

and yes, look for meat deals and stock up! freeze, etc :) You might even consider asking your local grocer butcher what times/days they tend to put out the discount/marked down meats, and try to plan around that.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I agree with pp-buy what's on offer and also stock up on dried pulses. Lentils, all kind of beans-you can buy them in bulk, and they are cheap. Also better than the canned variety.
    Yes, Quinoa has a lot of protein, but it rather costly compared to other grains.
    Get oatmeal in bulk for breakfast, also a source of protein.
    Meat is tricky-I agree, especially since I like to get free range or organic. So I don't really eat a lot of it.
    My main sources are also cottage cheese and cheese in general
  • Telugammayi87
    Thanks everyone :) I'm making a shopping list now!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Cottage cheese is affordable and they make amazing shakes! www.dashingdish.com I was blown away at the flavor of the shakes considering I don't EAT cottage cheese.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Sales, Sales, Sales! Coupons,Coupons,Coupons! I go to 3 grocery stores every Saturday to buy my food.. always buy whats on sale or a good priced deal and if it isn't on sale find which store around you has it for the least and buy it there.. I go to 2 grocery stores and Aldi's, and Aldi's is the best for fruits and vegetables most of the time, I was really surprised and its good quality. Other than that if you can buy in bulk and freeze stuff you can sometimes get boneless skinless chicken at $1.49/lb (just got a 10lb bag) and then split them into separate bags, that sort of thing...
    Never go into the frozen food isles, learn how to make most of the foods from fresh, and avoid the deli counter.. all salads there are overpriced for what you can make at home, and the meats are so/so but if you buy deli meat get the on sale stuff.
  • Noor13
    Cottage cheese is affordable and they make amazing shakes! www.dashingdish.com I was blown away at the flavor of the shakes considering I don't EAT cottage cheese.
    have to check out this site-thanks
  • Noor13
    have to check out this site-thanks

wow just had a look and it seems they are having awesome shakes
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    My fave right now is the lemon cream one. I haven't tried many others because I can't stop eating this one. I double it up usually. Large volume and just so refreshing! I take it with me on errands or to the gym. Who would have ever thought cottage cheese + lemon juice would be so great? LOL
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Ive been wanting to put together a spreadsheet with the best foods with their prices laid out as price per calorie, price per gram of protein lol
  • Telugammayi87
    Again, thanks everyone :)
    Actually, the Farmer's Market here is the best place for me to shop for pretty much anything. The only thing they are lacking is a bakery and a "buy in bulk" section for nuts and stuff. I can get an organic 4lbs chicken that comes from within 50 mi of my home.... for $3.94!

Thanks for all of the suggestions... will be utilizing them soon!!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    also some grains provide more protein than others. Quinoa, for example, has a decent amount in it.

Egg whites (you could save the yolks for baking, and there is information on freezing them online) are a very good protein source. depending on how you feel about mercury, canned or packet tuna is an option: th e light versions have less mercury, I believe, and you can often find deals on these at places like a dollar store that has groceries.

and yes, look for meat deals and stock up! freeze, etc :) You might even consider asking your local grocer butcher what times/days they tend to put out the discount/marked down meats, and try to plan around that.

You can also order in bulk egg whites from myprotein.com. They send like 12 bottles or something for around £25 (not sure how much in US, check the site) but it works out pretty cheap. :)
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    I've been using dried beans like navy, kidney and soy beans. One dry portion equals approx 3 cooked. They are also very good for protein and iron :)

This! Beans are definitely the cheapest food for your buck. You will save a lot of money by having at least 1 vegetarian day a week focusing a lot on beans for protein.

Also i suspect things like peanut butter would be cheap for the number of calories in it.

I make my own yoghurt to save money using an easiyo yoghurt maker. But it is just as easy to make using just a thermos (there will be tutorials online) - then you can even have greek yoghurt for a fraction of the cost.

I also have a garden. Even if all you have is a balcony you can at least grow a cherry tomato plant or herbs or something which might save you money to spend on meat.

Also it is usually cheaper to buy a whole chicken than it does to buy just 2 chicken breasts. So buy the whole chicken and break it up into different pieces (legs, breasts etc) and freeze them for later (or just roast the whole thing and eat it over several days).

Homemade muesli is also cheaper - oatmeal is cheap to.

And final tip - i get my protein powder from ebay. It is unflavoured natural whey isolate. It might not taste as good as some chocolate flavoured whatever, but it is a fraction of the cost and i just mix it with whatever i feel like - into banana smoothies, or just put some cocoa powder in it if i want chocolate, or a few drops of vanilla essence for vanilla etc.

Good luck!
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member

This! Beans are definitely the cheapest food for your buck. You will save a lot of money by having at least 1 vegetarian day a week focusing a lot on beans for protein.

Also i suspect things like peanut butter would be cheap for the number of calories in it.

I make my own yoghurt to save money using an easiyo yoghurt maker. But it is just as easy to make using just a thermos (there will be tutorials online) - then you can even have greek yoghurt for a fraction of the cost.

I also have a garden. Even if all you have is a balcony you can at least grow a cherry tomato plant or herbs or something which might save you money to spend on meat.

Also it is usually cheaper to buy a whole chicken than it does to buy just 2 chicken breasts. So buy the whole chicken and break it up into different pieces (legs, breasts etc) and freeze them for later (or just roast the whole thing and eat it over several days).

Homemade muesli is also cheaper - oatmeal is cheap to.

I also bake my own bread using the 'Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day' method. That's a book you can get from Amazon. Amazing bread and so quick and easy to make. Saves money too. Check out their website as well - lots of free recipes and info on there.

And final tip - i get my protein powder from ebay. It is unflavoured natural whey isolate. It might not taste as good as some chocolate flavoured whatever, but it is a fraction of the cost and i just mix it with whatever i feel like - into banana smoothies, or just put some cocoa powder in it if i want chocolate, or a few drops of vanilla essence for vanilla etc.

Good luck!