I'm STRUGGLING - could this be "carb flu"?

vraedwulf
vraedwulf Posts: 3 Member
My boyfriend and I have been "sorta-kinda" Primal for a couple months now. At first we told ourselves we were just using up the carby food we bought before we started, we told ourselves we just didn't want to waste food. Of course we stopped buying those foods at that time, and now we have finally really started running out of all the carby foods in the house. Suddenly I'm tormented by insanely intense cravings for sugar and carbs (ice cream, muffins, cake, bagels, cupcakes...) and at the same time I feel totally run down and grumpy all day. The fatigue is just like if I hadn't been getting enough sleep for a week or two straight, except I HAVE been getting enough sleep.

Is this the "carb flu" that is supposed to indicate the transition to being a fat-burner? These cravings are so intense.... I really hope they don't last long. I already broke down today and went WAY off the program (my diary is public, for those interested in the gruesome details...) Any ideas of a way to beat this? I kind of have this impression that I need to re-double my efforts and do 1-2 weeks of total 100% Primal, but would that help? Any other ideas of how to get through this?

I have a lot of respect for the folks on this board and I'm really hoping you can help me!

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    That definately is what you are going through. You pretty much have to go solid cold turkey. Is add some fat to help with some cravings. It only lasts a few days. Treat yourself with some dark chocolate. I also find some bullet proof coffee helps. As for any remaining grains etc in you home... Please respect your body and don't put poison into it for the sake of saving money or not wasting food.... Because that crap isn't food :)
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Just added you as friend :) Hopefully we can help each other!
    It definitely sounds like your body is getting rid of the crap which has built up in your system. Hang in there...it DEFINITELY gets easier. Drink a fair bit of water to help your system flush out toxins.
    My naturopath recommended the following "Energy Drink" which works a treat:
    1L filtered water
    2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
    2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
    1 Tablespoon of Lime Juice
    Combine all ingredients and keep in the fridge. Drink 1/2 to 1 glass in the morning on waking and a glass before bed. You can serve it warm, but I reckon it tastes like crap that way. Great tonic for the liver.
    Treat yourself to a massage or something you really enjoy if you're having a bad day, or even a good day :)
    I agree, cold turkey is the only way, you'll feel better in the long run.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    This sounds exactly like I felt when I was 3 weeks in. Everyone seemed to think I had cold or allergies though.... Whatever, I felt better after I ate Carbs so I'm pretty certain it was the carb flu. My advice would be to not cheat, push through it!! I did the opposite and I'm still struggling to get back to it. I'm now a few days in eating mostly primal again and I'm starting to get that headache and crappy feeling again. Now, I know I'll feel much better if I just suck it up b/c I don't want to start over again and feel this way again. Haha!

Good luck!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Eat more fat! I love fried eggs in butter :D
    Take an afternoon nap! More sleep definitely helps. After you wake up, have some yummy iced green tea to shake off the groggies.
    Allow yourself a (primal) higher carb day! A banana, sweet potatoes. You'll have more energy the next day. I am usually low-carb, but when I carb-binge (I'm working on that) I have tons of energy the next day, and its so easy for me to intermittantly fast and stick to my eating plan.
    Take a long walk! Get a massage! Take a cold shower/jump in a cold pool!
  • vraedwulf
    vraedwulf Posts: 3 Member
    As I mentioned originally I had a lot of carbs yesterday, and today I have felt more awake and put together than I have in the past week and a half. I think I can assume this means that it was indeed the carb flu, and that I have reset myself back to the beginning of the process. This is unfortunate and certainly disappoints me, but now I know what those symptoms mean. Hopefully next time I can stay strong!

Wish me LUCK!!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    As I mentioned originally I had a lot of carbs yesterday, and today I have felt more awake and put together than I have in the past week and a half. I think I can assume this means that it was indeed the carb flu, and that I have reset myself back to the beginning of the process. This is unfortunate and certainly disappoints me, but now I know what those symptoms mean. Hopefully next time I can stay strong!

Wish me LUCK!!

Don't beat yourself up! Like I wrote earlier, that is exactly what I did. This is a complete lifestyle change so if you need to take baby steps then do just that!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    you are not a garbage can, and neither is your body.

cold turkey is the only way though!
    easiest way is stay under 20 grams for 2 weeks (mainly from veggies), then slowly add in extras. good luck!