I would love some thoughts

crystal8208
crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
I've been on plateau now since April 1st. I'm eating 1850-2000 cals per day. BMR was 1700-1800 (been a while since I did it) and TDEE was quite high, like 2150 or something.

23 years old
222 lbs right now
5"7

Tried higher cals, lower cals, more exercise, less.... I'm not sure what to do now....

Replies

• rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Hi there :)

What kind of exercise have you been doing?
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    How long have you been 'trying' these methods for?

Consistency is key - you should trial a 'change' for 8 weeks before changing 1 thing and trialing for another 8 weeks.
  • crystal8208
    Hi there :)

What kind of exercise have you been doing?

Mainly walking. A bit of pilates. I was going to Zumba pretty regularly, but someone suggested I may be doing too much, so I stopped Zumba in March.
  • crystal8208
    How long have you been 'trying' these methods for?

Consistency is key - you should trial a 'change' for 8 weeks before changing 1 thing and trialing for another 8 weeks.

I increased calories to TDEE for three weeks in April. Then I went back down but nothing really happened. I've been at these same cals and walking 2-3 times per week since June at least. Probably longer.
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    I think you would benefit from looking at the stickies and going to their youtube page - and looking at the video called consistency.

They describe exactly what your doing as what not to do - i.e. doing something for 3 weeks, then going back, then changing back again, etc. They offer advice on what you should do - i.e. being consistent, for how long, etc.

Good luck!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Hey,
    For light exercise your numbers seem to be about correct, I would suggest opening your diary (if your comfortable with strangers like us looking at your items) to see what types of foods your eating.. obviously the healthier the better. As others have mentioned consistency is key, jumping around just confuses your body most of the time.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I've been on plateau now since April 1st. I'm eating 1850-2000 cals per day. BMR was 1700-1800 (been a while since I did it) and TDEE was quite high, like 2150 or something.

23 years old
    222 lbs right now
    5"7

Tried higher cals, lower cals, more exercise, less.... I'm not sure what to do now....

You need to be patient, consistent and have faith:)

First, what is your activity level? How many hours in a week are you being active? Dont sell yourself short either.. be honest with how much you do. Based on your TDEE and your BMR, Id venture a guess that you have selected Lightly Active for your level. Most people are actually moderate, whether they want to believe it or not. :)

You are probably still not eating enough. It can take a few weeks to get used to higher cals, but in time your body will thank you. Because you are stalling out still with 2000 cals, it is likely you need to eat more.
    3 weeks is not consistent enough... you need to give it a few more weeks in order to see if it is working at that level or not. Any ONE change in your world can cause things to not move or stall, or change drastically. Once you start changing too many things at once, or bounce back and forth, then you have no idea what is working or not working for you.

Have faith:)
    This is not a quick fix way of life. This is the set you up to never have to eat less than neccessary again. You cannot expect things to move as quickly as they might have on a lower calorie plan. Change will be gradual. Have faith in yourself, in eating more. Concentrate on other things that are successful for you. How do you feel? Are you sleeping better? Less stress? are you losing inches? is your skin better? that sort of stuff...

Hope this helps.. We are all in this together:)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    You also would probably benefit from doing a metabolism reset (eating at TDEE for 8 weeks).
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member

23 years old
    222 lbs right now
    5"7

You need to be patient, consistent and have faith:)

First, what is your activity level? How many hours in a week are you being active? Dont sell yourself short either.. be honest with how much you do. Based on your TDEE and your BMR, Id venture a guess that you have selected Lightly Active for your level. Most people are actually moderate, whether they want to believe it or not. :)

You are probably still not eating enough. It can take a few weeks to get used to higher cals, but in time your body will thank you. Because you are stalling out still with 2000 cals, it is likely you need to eat more.
    3 weeks is not consistent enough... you need to give it a few more weeks in order to see if it is working at that level or not. Any ONE change in your world can cause things to not move or stall, or change drastically. Once you start changing too many things at once, or bounce back and forth, then you have no idea what is working or not working for you.

Have faith:)
    This is not a quick fix way of life. This is the set you up to never have to eat less than neccessary again. You cannot expect things to move as quickly as they might have on a lower calorie plan. Change will be gradual. Have faith in yourself, in eating more. Concentrate on other things that are successful for you. How do you feel? Are you sleeping better? Less stress? are you losing inches? is your skin better? that sort of stuff...

Hope this helps.. We are all in this together:)

This!! Great advice as always from Raynn - Listen to her and you should do fine....I always tell people to be CONSISTENT b/c if you are not then your body doesn't trust what you are doing and it will take considerably longer to get results....PATIENCE as well...I have a big issue with that myself...If I don't see results - In sometimes as little as a week I would change it up and then wonder what I was doing wrong...Now after doing the reset and sticking with it for 6wks, which for me was a big accomplishment - I feel better knowing that I can be patient...And yes, Have faith b/c this can work for you if you follow the other two things!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :flowerforyou:
  • crystal8208
    Ok re-ran my numbers.

BMR - 1822
    TDEE - 2505 (lightly active) or 2824 (moderately active)

I was set on 1980 cals for a long time. (2 months or so). So where the heck should I be? I'm so confused!!! I will check out those videos, but I'm at work, so no youtube for now.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Ok re-ran my numbers.

BMR - 1822
    TDEE - 2505 (lightly active) or 2824 (moderately active)

I was set on 1980 cals for a long time. (2 months or so). So where the heck should I be? I'm so confused!!! I will check out those videos, but I'm at work, so no youtube for now.

Given that you've been eating quite a bit lower than that for awhile now, I'd strongly suggest a reset. It's certainly not the quick route by any means. But it's worth it to take time to give your body some love. I suggest going all the way up to 2824 and eating that every day. Bare minimum for a reset is 4 weeks. Most people need a bit longer for the body to adjust to the higher calorie number. If you read through the reset stickies, there's a wealth of information. We're finding that there's stages to the reset. First you may gain a bit. Your weight will stabilize at some point. Your energy and appetite will increase and you'll start to feel hungry. Those are signs that your metabolism is revving up. Continue to stick with it for the length of the reset - many suggest (myself included) sticking with a full 8 weeks. Then drop down to a 10 or 15% cut. I hope this helps a bit.

The videos will also help when you get home from work and are able to watch them. Good luck!