Restaurant calorie estimations

bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
Hi all- I'm going out to dinner tonight with my boyfriend and another couple. My boyfriend hates chain restaurants and loves going to places he can't go to anywhere else. This is fine...except these small, local places don't post nutrition information!

I've perused the menu for the place were going tonight. I'm torn between a seasonal salad (greens, fruit, nuts, white meat chicken breast, poppyseed dressing) or a herb roasted turkey sandwich, which is on sourdough with an artichoke garlic spread and cheese. I would probably get the sandwich with just turkey.

Which is my best bet? How should I log it? Does anyone know the approximate serving size of meat on a restaurant sandwich?

Replies

• crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    I know lunchmeat is three thin slices. So if it's sliced try from there. If not, go to the size comparison. I think a deck of cards is supposed to be 5 oz I think. Personally, when I go somewhere I'm not familiar with, I get salads. Less salt and you never know what's in the spreads on the bread. Good luck!!!
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    I had a similar dilemna once. My husband had a work dinner out and I could see the menu online. I had narrowed it down to a salad or some type of chicken entree. Salads are great until the dressing. That can be a nightmare! So I decided - if they had a low cal - low fat or fat free dressing I would get the salad. If not, the entree.

They had no low fat dressing- what decade is this? I live in DC- not out in the boonies! It did not end up being a great choice but it was one meal, no place we ever returned. Don't stress, stress leads to cortisol & belly fat they say!

PS I have lost 33 pounds since Jan 1 estimating. Either by using the ingredients and building a recipe to estimate or finding something close in MFP. We go out at least once a week. Luckily - we found a small chain - the Daily Grill -that has a under 600 calorie menu. Of course if it is not packaged - it probably if a little off. But not so much as to throw off the diet! Good luck!