fitbit newbie

Sooooo I have my cute new little fitbit

I've synced it with mfp and adjusted my goals on both sites to maintain as I want to get an idea of my tdee this week and have a diet break.

Now I have a zillion questions:

1) At the mo without any steps (and I only just turned it on) its reading 1137kcal burn... is that my BMR for today so far (its 11.10pm here now) to the time now? Cos surely that can't be my full bmr cos scooby puts that at 1347 or so...

2)If my commute to work involves a very wobbly train should I turn it to timer for that bit and then log it as sitting down or something for those minutes?

3) why has it sneakily added exercise kcal to my diary despite no steps being taken (only 14 or so but still!!)

Replies

• skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    The 1137 calories is not BMR but calories burned since midnight. BMR is your calories burned with no activity (essentially laying in bed with no/minimal movement/activity). Since it is your first day, it is estimating your daily burn (TDEE - total daily expended energy) based on the personal data you told it. 1137 divided by 23.25 hours is an average of 49 calories per hour. Tomorrow will likely be more accurate as it will have a full day of activities.

You can use the start/stop timer for your ride and log it in as transportation. You could just make a note of your calories and steps before you get on the train and then when you get off and see how many calories and steps it added. If not many, then I probably wouldn't worry with it.

The added calories is what it thinks you burned over the expected to give you more calories to possibly eat. I usually don't pay much attention to the fitbit adjustment. Since it is your first day, I would keep it an eye on it for now.

You might check out the "Fitbit Users" group here on MFP - they are great in answering questions!